why is swiss cheese bad?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriin

so i know cheese in general isn't too good for rats but swiss cheese is on the prohibited list, why? just out of curiosity.
i always chuckle to myself because growing up we all, somehow, put rats and cheese together, like its their main diet or something lol when really, it's not even very good for them :lol2:

I think it's blue cheese that's on the list? The mould in blue cheese is a neuro toxin, at least that's the reason listed I think. I don't like blue cheese myself so I haven't bothered to research that one.

Yea I recall blue cheese on it haha, swiss woudl be the sae as a cheddar or soemthing. but yea I avoid giving cheese in general

What Victoria said makes a lot of sense.

All dairy is bad for rats ... problems with digestion, all the chemicals and toxins in it, etc
(Plus the added bonus of animal cruelty for owners who care about things like that.)

Yes, it is so strange that we were all taught about how much rats and mice looove cheese ... I know mine would much prefer peas or other vegs LOL

hahah it might of been blue cheese then, my mistake, still good to know though! i've never really given cheese, but hwnever i have nachos they want at them badly lol but i they just like any food, accept banana, weirdly. i guess their taking after their 'master' hehe

eriin said:
hahah it might of been blue cheese then, my mistake, still good to know though! i've never really given cheese, but hwnever i have nachos they want at them badly lol but i they just like any food, accept banana, weirdly. i guess their taking after their 'master' hehe

It is funny yours don't like bananas...to my rats that is candy...I give them a small piece every once in a while...they go nuts.

What no cheese? My boys love it and the vet has it on her list of food to feed them in small amounts - not a regular basis!! They are not going to like this news when I tell them! :?

Back