Why is my rat lazing about like this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Meimorie

Recently, our very energetic rat has starting laying around more often. Like sprawled out. We've never had a rat who did this, but I'm hoping it is just normal for some? We wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't a new thing. Like if she had always done this. We don't think she is sick, because she eats & drinks just fine. She does get excited & runs around when it's out of the cage play time. We're wondering if she is just bored? She & her sister run on their wheel together every single night. And they have toys. But maybe she's bored of those & needs something new? We also hide food around their cage a couple of times a week, & they seem to enjoy searching for it. Should we do that more?

(Sorry for the crappy quality picture. My phone camera isn't the best, & I didn't want to flash her.)

e78b7694-9b22-4c0c-bdb3-14e65647f148_20190713_235157434.jpg

Welcome to the forum! For your location, please put something more specific than Texas. We aren't asking for your city, but more of a sort of region, such as "south-eastern Texas" or whatever. It helps us help you find vets or rescues if you need them (for whatever reason).

How old is she? Age can really factor into a rat's energy level. Is she being let out of her cage frequently for playtime and explore time? What other things does she have in her cage? What cage are you using? What toys do you use for her?

At least in the picture, it may be lighting, but she looks to have excess porphyrin around her eyes. If she does, that's normal for elderly rats (since they don't groom as often as younger rats), but if she's less than two, excess porphyrin could indicate an illness. Our rats are frustratingly good at masking illnesses.

She is 9 months old. She & her sister come out of their cage for about 2 or 3 hours at a time, 2 or 3 times a day (so between 4 & 9 hours a day, either on our bed with old towels & toys, or on the bedroom & closet floor) for play, & sometimes just napping on our bed. In the cage, there is a tree trunk hideout (what she is laying on in the picture), a willow branch ball (that they push around the cage), a wooden cannon (for chewing & crawling through), two hanging chew kabobs (one with a bell, one without), a hanging ball feeder with a bell (that we hide snacks in), a hammock (where they usually sleep), & an extra large silent spinner. Also, she is still very active at night, when we're in bed. But she used to play more during the day too.

This is the cage they have: https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-First-Multi-Level-Habitat-Exotics/dp/B00CETSHN2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_10

Here is a better lit picture of her, so you can get a look at her eyes.

IMG_3052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How hot is the room she lives in? Maybe she's been really hot? Sometimes rats lay sprawled out on their tummies to cool off. Just an idea...

We try to keep the room at around 72 degrees. AC on even when we're not home, because it easily gets up into the 100s here this time of year. But when we are here & going in & out of the room a lot, the cold air escapes. And that does seem to be when she does it. When we're in the room & the door has been closed for a while, she seems fine. So, maybe she gets hot when the door is open?

I know 72-74 is what I try to keep our rat area at, but sometimes it's impossible. Especially in texas! :cool:

That's for sure! Well, it would be quite a relief if that's all it is. She didn't start doing this until a couple of weeks ago (start of July).

Welcome to the forum :)

As mentioned above she may been responding to the heat
As you are likely aware temperature changes of more then 5'F can also cause illness.
She may just be slowing down because although she is still very young she is no longer a teenager

Personally I would keep an eye on her
Btw, there is good information in the Reference Thread about dealing with heat, and many other things https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Last edited:
she looks comfy. She may be slowing down a little from her constant activity as she's aging. I don't see anything wrong with her as long as she's not showing any other symptoms.

Back