Why do they stink all of a sudden???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

Its the RUDD! I have NEVER had a stinky cage before. I do a full cleaning on both my cages once a week and a small cleaning daily. The boys cage is fine but the girls new RUDD , for some reason no matter how much I clean it it STINKS! I don't know what to do. I am starting to make some new friends and would like to bring them over to my house but i am embarrassed about the stink! Should i ditch the fleece on the bottom level and add some horrible shavings?

Yep, that was my biggest beef with Martins. I couldn't stand the smell of vinegar on their powder coating. What do yo use to clean the cage?

That must be it Jo!!!! It doesn't even matter any way i hate that cage so so so much i am selling it!! :rant:

You know...I have a coated martins and it smells. Even right after cleaning.....it is put together with zip ties...I wonder if it could be them? Anyway I am not a fan of martins cages.....I prefer the CN by far.

I have a martins cage which is powder coated & put together with zip ties, I don't find it smells.
What dose it smell like?
I also don't use fleece & I clean daily with baby wipes and weekly with ABC detergent or superpet cage cleaner.

I had the same issue with my first cage, which was a Martin's style, and was galvanized. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it completely clean. Definitely love my CN. The time and energy I save on cleaning makes it well worth the cost. Can you line the shelves with coroplast for now to make cleaning it easier on you?

I have the same problem a bit with my ferret nation well the one i have to cover with mesh :( I need to get it cleaned outside each summer. After my "small girls" i will for sure try shying away from smaller to put in the ferret nations so i can someday take off the netting.

That is why i will for sure stay away from galvanized cages i know no matter how you clean it, it will always have that smell.

I had a galvanized cage and had to clean it every two days and on top of it, it was heavy for me to do, so i sold it off right away after i did not need it any longer.

Ratty Momma said:
I have a martins cage which is powder coated & put together with zip ties, I don't find it smells.
What dose it smell like?
I also don't use fleece & I clean daily with baby wipes and weekly with ABC detergent or superpet cage cleaner.

It smells like dirty rat. Poop and pee also. I took the darn thing outside and power hosed it and it still stinks. I am so getting a CN , i need it if I want to keep my sanity. Also , maybe the warm weather is adding to the smell?

And , it is WAY to heavy for me! I could barley get it outside!!!

I hate to sell it because the rats really love it , but they will love a CN too i think

Yeah, I have to admit that I also hate my Martins, not because of the smell (cause mine don't) but because it's so aquward to clean, it fustrats me, If I could afford a CN I would totally get one.

Back