Why do rats take food more readily from a finger?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I've been wondering about this, now that I have three seniors (33 months old today!!). Here are some of my hypotheses, but does anyone know the reason why rats take food from a finger when they have refused it or shown no interest in the food in a dish?

Is it because:

1) the finger's warmth helps release the aroma of the food?

2) warm pink skin with liquid on it can activate the sucking reflex?

3) they recognize the finger's smell and so they assume the food is safe?

4) all of the above?

5) none of the above?

(all you students and former students will be cringing... looks just like an exam]

I've always assumed it was
1. the social interaction with someone they love, who loves them ie personal attention

2. it is right in front of them so rats with memory difficulties can see it and not forget where the food is/ having it in front of them triggers a lick response much like babies might have had with mom

3. my persistance

4. licking meds/food off my finger is better than having it rubbed on your mouth/face

but your ideas sound really good ...

I don't have any real proof of a particular reason either. I think it's likely dependent on the situation, but all those answers sound reasonable.

I think I've had rats who feel the need to clean/groom a dirty finger as well, but when they're sick, having the food right in front of their nose would definitely make it easier to eat because they don't have to worry about dropping their nose into the food as they lick it. Maybe the bit of salt on human skin would also help the food smell a bit more appetizing.

I've wondered about this as well!

A while ago, I was reading up on cat behaviour and one of the things that was said is that a cat will take a food even if he doesn't like it simply because it is offered by his handler. Almost like it's a respect kind of thing.
I think it's similar in rats. I've noticed that mine will eat off my finger but I feel like they are doing it more for pleasing me and not because they are truly hungry and want to eat.
I tested this by not finger feeding my rats and I've seen them crawl to the food and eat it. But if I offer it, it's almost like it's part of affection, they are grateful for the attention and love being given with finger feeding.
That's the energy I feel from them when I do it.

I have wondered if they ate even when they weren't hungry, although my Corrie girls are good at pushing my finger away with a paw when they have had enough. I am glad that feeding from my fingers works, and I'll try not to take undue advantage. ;)

Another reason I forgot to mention applies only to rats with respiratory problems. My Georgie prefers to take her meds from my finger when she is having trouble breathing. I think it's because eating from my finger doesn't require her to bend her head down and further constrict her breathing.

Back