The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rat Rhaegar just passed away last night. (before i continue, this does get a bit gruesome so just a warning.) I went to feed my rats, (there was originally 3 sisters, Rhaegar, Drogon, and Viserys) and only drogon and viserys came out of their sleeping spot for food. i immediately imagined something terrible had happened. i searched around the cage and ended up finding rhaegar curled up and nestled in their favorite sleeping spot where they always snuggle. her head was torn apart and it looked like she had died there sleeping and been torn up after by her sisters. i still don’t know why she died. she was only 1 year and 6 months old. the cage hadn’t been cleaned for about 3 weeks so they had been in there for that time. i hadn’t been keeping up with the cleaning due to mental health issues and being busy. i was still feeding them every night and making sure they were okay. i didn’t notice that rhaegar seemed sick, it’s as if she died suddenly. i can’t help but feel like it was my fault she died. can rats die from lack of entertainment or because of a dirty cage? i cleaned the cage thoroughly after i found her and played with the other two for a few hours. they didn’t seem too fazed and acted normal and healthy accepting lots of pets and snuggles. i was shocked that rhaegar died so suddenly. also, could it be that they got in a fight due to stress and killed rhaegar, or is it more likely that she died sleeping and then was torn up? previous to the three weeks without cleaning, i was keeping up with the cleaning and making sure it was staying pretty clean. i cleared everything out completely and washed everything each 1-2 weeks and took them out while the cage was being cleaned for a few hours, and they got to come out and play during the week sometimes when i had time. they all seemed healthy. thanks everyone for any answers you have. i hope that rhaegar is resting peacefully.

Attachments

• 7566FCED-FA28-4981-925C-8F15180BB5DC.jpeg
    7566FCED-FA28-4981-925C-8F15180BB5DC.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 3F2ECCD5-4C8A-450E-A283-7C54D3BB9BC3.jpeg
    3F2ECCD5-4C8A-450E-A283-7C54D3BB9BC3.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
Sorry for losing Rhaegar. She will be missed. I'm sure someone will show up for some answers. Welcome to the forums.

I don't know that it's possible for anyone to definitively say what may have happened, but I can say that I very much doubt her sisters killed her. My understanding is the tearing was likely part of their attempt to dispose of her remains after she passed. I've read that rats will occasionally do that in order to ensure that the remains don't attract predators. She may have very well passed in her sleep due to some illness that she didn't show signs of. Rats do tend to be very good at hiding symptoms of illness.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd suggest keeping an extra close eye on Drogon and Viserys for the next few days. In particular, pay attention to their breathing to ensure that they don't have any sort of respiratory flare up or anything. And keep giving them extra love -- I'm sure you all could use one another's support through the grieving process.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your girls all the best.

thank you very much. i’ve been spending a lot of time with the other girls and it’s helped. thanks so much for responding
I'm glad to hear it. Are you not thinking about having one or two more someday to fill the void somehow?

yeah i am. i wanted to adopt some older ratties, the rescue i got my rats from doesn’t have any old rat available right now that are females so i’m gonna wait and see if i can get any. if anyone knows of more rescues near connecticut please let me know! it doesnt even have to be that close, just in a somewhat neighboring states

Last edited:
I certainly hope you'll be heard by those near you. May I know why older?

both of my rats are 1 year and 6 months so i would want to get rats close to their age. i am also going to college soon, so i wouldn’t want to get babies because i would have to give them up before i leave for college

Back