Whoo, Rat Proofing my Room!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorachiKatashi

So, up until now (and probably still for the next couple of days) I do out-time in the upstairs bathroom, since it's the only real "rat-proof" room in the house. It's pretty boring, though, since it means I have to dedicate an hour or two a day JUST to sitting in the bathroom and watching them run around. I always wanted to be able to let them out in my bedroom, so they would still be supervised, but I could do other things, like watch TV, fold laundry, clean the cages? And then I could have them out a lot longer; they could be out pretty much any time my cat was asleep (which is most of the time). So I went out today and bought four 4x4 sheets of coroplast. I was originally going to use them to make a square playpen to set up in my room, but when I got home I realized that I could use two of those sheets to block off the areas of my room that aren't safe, and instead they could have (almost) full run of the room! I'm pretty excited. My bedroom is actually two rooms that were made into one, so in the middle I have this kind of entryway? It's a little hard to explain. But I can put up one sheet there to keep them on this side of the room (where I am), and another to block the closet (there's some holes in the wall in there). My only concern is the wires around my computer. Obviously they'll be 100% supervised and I won't LET them chew any wires, but aside from tying them into bundles and tucking them against the wall/behind the tower, is there any useful tips for convincing them that those computer wires are boring and yucky tasting?

If you find a solution to that, I wanna know! I had to switch to wireless mouse and keaboard after my rats chewed my old ones, and now I am really considering getting wireless speakers and screen :gaah: (my rats have some of their out time on my desk). We already had to buy new cables for the screen, this is pretty expensive... and believe me, electrical cords are to rats what chocolate is to most of us women :giggle:

I use what´s called flex tubes on all wires here.. It´s hell to put on, but here, it don´t get chewed :wink2:
flexible_tubing.gif

Other than that.. No idea.. I´ve lost so many wires to my girl it´s insane.. :wallbang:

If worse comes to worse, a lot of the wires can probably be taped to the bottom of the desk. Haha! My guys don't usually go on my desk unless I'm doing something specific with them (like clipping their nails) since my desk is covered in tons of assorted stuff.

Oskar and Vin have little interest in chewing, but Whiskers is a monster. He's lucky that my family goes through Kleenex like it's going out of style, so there's always an empty tissue box around for him to demolish. His cage always looks filthy, because ten minutes after I clean it, he'll cover the thing in all the little bits of shredded tissue box.

*Scratches head* Any bunny folks around here? I vaguely remember that there are some products out there to keep cables/cords safe from curious rabbits. Should work for ratties too, I'd think.

Huh, you could try looking at this:

Protector cord - Safely and conveniently protect your small pet from chewing electric cords. Citrus infused scent deters harmful chewing and clear color won't disrupt your home décor. Simply separate 10 ft pre-slit, flexible protector and place cord inside. Protector can be cut to length to cover any cord.

I would suggest getting all wires and electrical cords up where the rats absolutely can't get at them, and then trying the flex tube as well.
I have never tried it but I do know from experience that wires and electrical cords where the rats absolutely can't get at them, just means they have a bit of a challenge.
And rats are smart, one or two will distract you while the other .....

Back