Who actually enjoy cleaning their rats' cages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rilence

Okays, I can't speak for others whom have wayyyy more rats than I do, but I really look forwards to every Sunday's cage cleaning!

I love washing and cleaning their stuffs, and decorating (You don't know how long I spend on this!) and then after seeing the rats making messes and enjoying themselves inside, I feel happy :dance:

How about you guys?

I can't say that I enjoy the cleaning part, I don't- but I do like to see the boys' reactions to the new set up and all.
they get so excited it makes it worth the icky part of it.

I can't say I love it. Back when I had just one cage it was enjoyable. I have five now and feel overwhelmed by it. If I was smart, I'd rotate things so that I'd just have one cage a night to clean, but for some reason I insist on doing all five in one evening. Once they are clean I do enjoy laying out the new fleece and arranging all their stuff for them. But the cleaning part sucks.

I too enjoyed cleaning when I just had one cage, and I still even enjoyed it when I had 2 cages... but now I have 7 and it is not as enjoyable as it used to be.
I try to clean one cage each day, and I LOVE the days where I have easy cages to clean. I also have my routine down so it only takes about half an hour so to clean each cage so thats nice too... but its still a lot of work. Hopefully after some intros I'll be able to get the number down to 6 cages and have one day off each week from cage cleaning LOL.

With the bigger cage, cleaning is a much bigger hassle, and I hate it. But I love seeing my happy ladies in their clean cage.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I find cage cleaning also depends on your cage. For example, the Critter Nation cages have doors on the front that give 100% access to the cage, which makes it so much easier!
I used to take a couple of hours to clean the cage because I'd be playing with the rats as I went along, but now that I have three cages on the go, I need to be more efficient so it doesn't take up too much time. And with seven girls in the single CN right now (just rescued), I will need to clean every 2nd or 3rd day.

Joanne said:
I find cage cleaning also depends on your cage. For example, the Critter Nation cages have doors on the front that give 100% access to the cage, which makes it so much easier!
I used to take a couple of hours to clean the cage because I'd be playing with the rats as I went along, but now that I have three cages on the go, I need to be more efficient so it doesn't take up too much time. And with seven girls in the single CN right now (just rescued), I will need to clean every 2nd or 3rd day.

Yikes! I can only imagine the mess 7 would make in a single CN...I have three grown boys in one and in only a couple of days they make a huge mess. Spot cleaning sucks because they never leave poos where I can find them easily.

It honestly depends what mood I am in really :lol: If I am really tired, then I don't enjoy it so much.. But it is fun to change things around in their cage and watch them check it out when they go back in ^^

I think for the most part I agree with the others; I don't particularly enjoy the cleaning aspect, but I LOVE how happy my girls seem when they're checking out their nice clean cage. Because of moving into a new apartment and the holidays, I went the longest time I ever have (about a week and a half) without cleaning their cage... it took me two hours to clean today, and I felt like the biggest piece of crap for letting it go for so long. It definitely feels nice to keep your pets in a clean environment.

I'll be honest, I hate the cleaning process. And with tons of cages, I can't get out of it. But I do enjoy cleaning the cages, only because I get to spend tons of time with the ratties. I take at least two hours to clean one cage, because I take so many breaks to play with them.

my cage is so big, awkward and rather heavy. I have to have my nephew help me move it into the bathtub for me. it needs a good scrub down right now, so I think it'll get done today at some point. obviously I have to put my boys in their carrier while I'm cleaning the cage. in the summer the cage can be cleaned outside, but this time of year it's too cold.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know that I actually enjoy the cleaning process but I love the end result. My boys are so much happier after a cage clean [SPARKLING HEART]

OMG are you kidding me? I use newspaper, it's free but needs a total swapout everyday and partial changes when they start shredding the wet paper, especially from 5 pm on when I'm in bed (they're in my bedroom). I don't enjoy it in the least - except at their suppertime when I put fresh paper under their supper dishes, cause I know they're gonna come get excited about their favorite supper items. I love that!!

I do not love it..but I don't mind it. I have 4 girls in a double Critter Nation....and I had pans made for it so I clean it once a week....empty the pans, soak the pans, toys, wheels, shelves in the bathtub.... put in clean hammocks...takes very little time....but of course the more rats/cages you have the more work it is.... 4 is a great number for me.

I can't say Love is the word for cleaning. I'm OCD so I scrub hard but I don't love it lol.
I love decorating and I can't wait to do a toy rotation this week. I have 3.5 cages...I call Duchess' cage a half because its just a single small cage... temporary until she gets a bit bigger.
I have a half FN that I hate cleaning as some of the younger girls are still having issues potty training. But again love decorating. I wish I had more options for toys and hidey houses. But I make due.
The boys cage is easy enough just sometimes the odd sticky spot. And the smaller girl group is in an ALT rat cage (3levels) its just awkward but fun to redesign for them and I love watching them explore.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Eh, I used to DESPISE it-- now that I switched to fleece it's a lot easier and nicer.

However, it still isn't one of those things I love to do. I love seeing the clean cage and happy ratters afterwards, though. ;)
Having a clean cage makes me feel a lot more optomistic about my rats, escpecially the older/sick ones. It's kind of like having a clean room makes you have a better mood...

cleaning my rat cage is super hard... all the creaks and corners...
this is the cage i have...
http://www.wayfair.com/Super-Pet-Kaytee ... QgodyxMAnw

Normally what i do, is put the top part in the bathtub, and spray it down to get all the pee off the shelves and the bars. and then I clean the bottom in the shower, rinse it out.
and in between cleanings i use Clorox wipes to clean the shelves to get the pee off the shelves.
and of course i clean the wheel, bowls, dishes, and water bottle- and also replace hammock.

Back