White Dryer Vent Tube - Smelly?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

I'm doing a total revamp of my girls cage,like this, and I bought some of the white dryer vent tube. When I opened it up I noticed a really strong plastic-y/chemically type smell.

I knew I wasn't going to subject my girls to that, so I threw it over the landing in my garage for two days, with the garage door cracked a bit so that fresh air could get in.

Brought it in and it was like I never did that. Smelled just as bad.

Its been sitting in my sink all afternoon with hot water and a ton of dishsoap. I just went to check on it and it doesn't smell ANY different.

Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?

Thanks!
Meghan

I had the same problem when i bought one. i think it took 2 weeks for the smell to dissipate. So then I found a 12' ferret tube (on the Martins cage site) that was wonderful. The girls love to run through it (it stretdhes out to 20') and it doesn't smell strong. It lasts a lot longer than the dryer tube, also.

I have a dryer vent tube as well, and it smelled awful at first. We just put it outside for a a while and now we can't smell it at all. I'd just throw it outside for a while longer, up to a week and see how it smells. They are cheap and easy to get, but the stink is a pain!

I think I might go with the ferret tube. I could probably order that and receive it before this thing airs out!

Thanks for your help.

Didn't know about the ferret tube. Interesting.

My dryer tube (that is only for out time) sat outside for a month. Because I forgot about it. No scent, though!! :lol:

We got a dryer tube for the ferrets. I remember opening that thing and wanting to throw it away! We left it to air out for at LEAST a week (I think it was more like 3 weeks) before we let any of the ferrets get near it. The smell goes away eventually, thank goodness, but we decided that, if we need another one, we are going to get several and let them air out then just put them in storage until we need them.

meghan said:
I think I might go with the ferret tube. I could probably order that and receive it before this thing airs out!

Thanks for your help.

The ferret tube rocks! I got one last February and most of it is still going :)
Its clear which is fun to watch as well :)

FavouritecornerofthePen-2.jpg

Even after all the zillions of times I've watched the girls run through the ferret tube, I never fail to laugh watching them run or saunter through it. And they love it so much. Edith and Rhonda, even when they were failing, couldn't resist walking through the tube.

As for babies.... they have races in there!

Back