Whiskers from Hamilton Animal Control

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is he in with anybody right now?

He just got a new friend last night! So he is now in with Gus :) I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

Whiskers is such a special little guy! He still has some abdominal swelling come and go, which I am going to speak with my vet about, but the swelling is mild and I am not concerned as he is eating and drinking (and pooping) normally. I am still a bit concerned with his sneezing but it is still not enough to treat and my vet wanted me to wait until it got worse, if it ever got worse, to start treating. His tail is also healing! Im surprised, the tip of his tail was black, but warm. I thought that there was a good chance he would lose it. Nope! Its slowly returning to a normal colour, in a way that a bruise would return to normal.

He still have quite a few mental hangups though, but I kind expected that. I take him with me often in the car so that hopefully he will realize that it is an ok place to be (my vet is an hour drive away, this is necessary). He is getting much better in the car, but he still holds on for dear life. The entire car ride he will sit beside the bars and hold onto the bars with his front paws. Last night on our way home (we had a day out yesterday) he was tired from the days activities and he was laying on his box hide holding onto the edge while he slept. I have never seen a rat grip like that while sleeping! Im happy he was able to sleep though, shows he was at least a little bit comfortable... or VERY exhausted - it was a busy day. He is also really terrified of the cold, but I'm not going to worry about that one. I'll just make sure to keep him nice and warm.

He has really come around in the last week, he plays like a normal baby... still doesn't understand ladders and levels though, but he knows how to play! Thats a start! He comes to the door when I call him, and he is learning how to play nice with other rats. He loves being petted, but doesn't really enjoy being picked up, but likes riding in hoods which is a happy compromise for me.

oh he sounds like such a sweetie! with all the special things you're doing for him, he's bound to come around sooner rather than later.

got any new photos?

How is Mr Whiskers doing now? I was going through some old threads and I remembered this sweet boy. Is he the little guy in with your new girl Aella?

HAHA no, the one with Aella is Yuka. Mr. Whiskers has really grown since the last pictures on here. He is much bigger then that. I also would not trust him with a baby so small. He is a bit of a spaz when the mood takes him.

Overall, Whiskers is doing very well. He has been neutered and was successfully integrated into a group with Gus and Merlin. I should take some pictures. He is fantastic in his cage, happy, bouncy, full of energy and confident. As soon as you take him out of his cage he becomes fearful and unsure - pretty much the opposite of what he is in his cage. So we are working on that. He comes all the way down the ladder by himself now :)

I will attempt to get you some pictures today or tomorrow. He is a fast little guy so hopefully I can get some that are not blurry LOL :D

Ah, thanks Crumbilina - it's so nice to hear he's doing well. He sounds adorable. It's no surprise he's insecure away from the safey of his cage. He learned very early on that the world can be unsafe and scary. I hope he grows out of it. He's a lucky boy, and I love his happy ending :) I can't wait to see him again. His story really got to me xx

Haha I got one non blurry pic of whiskers today!

21281180c72069804d58808051471945.jpg

He made it all the way down the ladder and to the floor last night! I was so happy for him! He was running around under his cage but wouldn't venture further then the side of the room with his cage on it. He put himself back as well! That is the most progress I have made with him since he first got here.
I had a friend over when I had out time with him and his cagemates and I think that helped as not all the attention was on getting him out of the cage. Most of our attention was on senile old Merlin who nips toes (seriously, he is such a jerk and bites toes hard!).

Hello Mr Whiskers, lovely to see you again boy. I love seeing him snuggled up with a buddy in there. Thanks Crumblina!

He was snuggled up with both Merlin and Gus in that picture. Gus was bruxxing and I was trying to get a video showing how rat teeth move when Whiskers kinda took over the shot. He is so active that it is next to impossible to get pics. During out time (well, Whiskers was still in his cage but ya know...) on Thursday I tried and ended up taking a good 100+ pics on my good camera and none of Whiskers actually showed him as anything but a blur. Hopefully in a bit he will be more comfortable outside of the cage and I can get some stills.

That really is progress. Well done little Whiskers! He's so adorable. Reminds me of my Bennett. He's still a timid boy but not half as bad as he was. He's 6 months old now. He was petrified when I first got him at 2 months old. Jumped at his own shadow and screamed his head off if you tried to pick him up. He felt much safer inside. The day he came out of his cage of his own accord and walked across the floor into my arms as I called him, I think I loved him just that little bit more. Bless him, I was so proud. It can be bloody frustrating, because you so badly want them to know how safe and loved they really are, and to let go and just enjoy themselves. But I think sometimes, it's their little quirks that make me love them so much :nod:

Back