which would be less stressful?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handmeafish

I am going home for a few days for christmas next week, and I'm trying to decide if I want to take the rat kids with me. Ron is so sensitive I'm afraid that traveling won't be good for him.
But it gets really cold in my room at night. My roomates refuse to let me have the heat up, and when I'm here I run my space heater. I can't leave it on while I'm gone because that's a fire hazzard. If they come home with me it will be warmer.
If they stay home they also will get no out time. My roomates are not the friendlest to my rats. They'd check on them and make sure they had food and water but that's it.

My parents house its a 2 hour drive from my house. Rons made the treck before, he came home with me when I had surgery in august. He did ok then.

My rats always travel with me and as a university student 1.5 hours away from home that's quite a few trips. My boys have no issues traveling, they all pile into their carrier and settle in for a sleep. My sister who goes to school in Sudbury travels the 4 hours home once a month with her old manrat who has resp issues and has no problems. You just have to be sure the carrier is well ventilated but also makes them feel secure (I use a cat carrier but a cage with a house would work too) and I'm sure Ron will be fine.

I was worried about my girls on a 4 hour drive, as they are quite timid, but I was surprised - they actually had a pretty good time! just make sure they're in a cosy travel cage with some cucumber or something(for rehydration). If my girls were fine with it, i'm sure your Ratties will be too.

I travel home and back on the Via train ( no rats allowed) and bring my boys everytime.
It's pretty stressful for them for a few minutes being bounced around inside a cage in a bag (keeping hidden, teehee).. but after that it's a pretty quiet ride.
I can't imagine leaving them alone.. you never know what could happen.

We take our boys home with us, it's a 12 hour drive. Dom, our oldest at 30 months, has made the trip probably a half dozen times. He just pouts and curls up to sleep until the world stops moving.

Decent cage, decent places to hide, and some food and our boys travel fine.

I used to bring two of my previous girls home every weekend from school. It was about an hour drive and they always did great. They would just curl up and sleep the entire way. And, it will also be much less stressful for you not having to worry how they're doing the entire time you're gone!

Glad to hear you decided to bring them with you. You'll be so much happier that they are with you!

I usually end up bringing my oldest with me since she is normally on meds. She does great and I am pretty sure its her favourite time of the week. I make it super interactive. I hate normal cheerios but i eat them on the way slipping her some while driving (she rides in the passenger seat in her normal cage). I chat to her and whatnot as well (wow writing this down makes me worry about my sanity a bit heh). And she sits there and bruxxes and boggles away. Actually I think it is my favourite time of the week too lol!

Back