Which Wheel? Tell us your favorite and why. =)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomRat

So, we have had our boys for over a year and a half now, and not yet gotten a wheel. We kept hoping we'd find one on Craigslist, I guess. But, I've got a little birthday money, and we just got and are decorating our new CN, and so I was hoping for some reviews on everyones favorite. We only have boys, we plan on sticking with that, They all weigh over a pound and Dominic is more like a pound and a half. So, I wanna know - what's big enough for the boys, what doesn't break, what is easy to clean, and what will hook to the cage instead of being on a stand? I know petco and petsmart have reviews for the Silent Spinner, and the Comfort Wheel, and Mostly I've seen the WW referred to for girls. So, what's your favorite, and why?

I like the Silent Spinner, but only have experience with that and the wire mesh wheels. I've had my silent spinner for a couple of years and only lately have I found it to be getting a little bit noisy at night.

I think if I run into a bit of extra money in the future my next wheel investment will be the Stealth Wheel that Godmother speaks so highly of.

I have the Wodent Wheel, which my girl Muirenn never actually gets off. The others dont even have a chance to go in it (although Patrick sometimes sleeps in there LOL), but i really want to get a Silent Spinner. Mostly to try it out, but also to reduce the noise. Got the rat cage upstairs now and the noise is keeping my mum awake (used to keep me awake when it was downstairs :D ). My Student Loans when i EVER get them, will go towards a silent spinner

ETA: I specifically bought the Wodent Wheel for my two boys, so i got the largest one i could find. It is deeper than a normal wheel i believe - "Wobust Wodent Wheel (large). 12" diameter, 5.3" wide, 3.6" "mouse-hole shaped" entry holes. Overall height 13". Best for larger male rats, prairie dogs and hedgehogs."
http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/wodent-wheel-large-wobust-burgundy-with-black-panels.html <- where i got it from so you can read the details

I like the silent spinner the best.
It works the best, large enough, and while not silent, it is quieter then many.
However I dislike the two piece design because eventually I break them when taking them apart for cleaning

I have silent spinners as well and they are far far from silent. I do like them for the solid base. I always worry about toe nails or tips of tails getting caught in the mesh ones. The major bonus is the easy clean up. :thumbup:
SQ you have to push down on the white squares to separate the pieces. Once you push down on 2 of the 3 sides, it comes apart on it's own. NO pulling on it :scolding:
What does the Stealth Wheel look like?

The silent spinner is the bomb. lol
I've had the wodent wheel and my rats were afraid of it.
We also have the comfort wheel, way to flimsy for males.
We tried the mesh wheel and the damn thing would come off the base and squeak sooooooo much.

But the Silent Spinner... I love.

Broncowheeling2_edited-1.jpg

I love Silent Spinners, but they are easy to break by mistake.

But I am now in love with the Stealth Wheel. It is big enough and sturdy enough for large males, the one on a stand doesn't tip over, and they are really silent!! Even small rats can make it go fast, too.

The only drawback to the ones that are attached to the side of the cage is that you need a wrench to attach them and to take them off for cleaning.

I will see if there's a good photo of one handy.....

CitruscageRayleneRosine.jpg

Here is Caramel her first weekend with me:
CaramelplaypenStealthwheel.jpg

Mainely Rat Rescue sells them, so another pleasure of buying one is that it supports this great rescue!

Godmother, how is the Stealth for cleaning? I can't tell what the mesh is made out of... Tools aren't an issue in this house, I am armed and dangerous when it comes to that. Is there anywhere in the states that sells them, or does Mainely ship to the US? I'm hearing more votes for the Silent Spinner, but I will take this one into consideration as well. First I'd heard of it. =)

Mainely Rat Rescue is in Maine, so shipping to Illinois should be very reasonable. You can also buy them from a sugar glider site in Oklahoma.

Cleaning it is OK when it is taken off the cage, otherwise difficult to do more than a wipe. The mesh is some kind of softish plastic, yet they never chew it. It is safe for ratties. You can also get little sandpapery strips to put in there to help keep their nails worn down. I have ordered one, but don't yet have it.

SQ totally disassembles hers when she cleans it, and she can tell you whether that is a big pain.

I also love the colours! They come in bright red, yellow, blue & green. I think that it's great to have one in the cage and a free-standing one in the play area.

I mostly have smaller girls so I prefer the SP mesh wheels...as do my rats, but bigger boys need a bigger wheel and my next preference is the Wodent Wheel. Even the biggest/fattest boy can fit and go for an amble. Puck is a big boy but he still runs on the mesh wheel, just does a funny butt rumba while on it :D
I am going to look for the Stealth Wheel and take a peek at pricing etc, but for babies and young girls, the mesh wheel, and then you can watch Loop de Loop games until you fall down from laughing so hard. :laugh4:

Not sure, caught around the wires. I can't be sure it would happen as I haven't got many wheels.... mine don't like them anyway. I saw some pics of what was a rat that had apparently got caught, and got the bottom of the tail removed.

Whilst on this topic can someone post a picture of an adult female on a Silent Spinner please? Just so i can see what the depth of them is like, i don't think the picture that advertises them is a very good one :roll:

I have the comfort wheel which I have in their cage, attached to the side and I also left the stand on because it seemed way too unstable without it. I am noticing that it is starting to lean when they get into it anyway ( the fatties! lol. <3) so I am thinking maybe I'll try one of those stealth wheels...mmm trimmed nails... the silent spinners just look so... circusy to me :giggle:

Some rats won't ever use it. My PEW Janie (RIP) never did, even though her four cagemates loved the wheel. Most will take to it if they're introduced when very young.

Here are two Oromocto rescue girls in a Silent Spinner:

Here is another young ratty, who could really make that wheel fly!

Whoa godmother, that second ratty is amazingly fast on that :D

I took a video of Allison this morning on the Wodent Wheel, funny enough :) They also have a SS but I need help reattaching it to the back of the cage because my arms aren't long enough lol. But last night they all ran on the WW and it bounced around the cage sometimes rubbing against things which makes it louder... I prefer the Silent Spinner because it stays in one place, but it does make a wobble running sound... so not even silent either :roll: They prefer the SS too because they like to jump out and run together.

I have a Wodent Wheel in the playpen, because the lively girls often have two wheels on the go. They really like it. I find it hard to clean, though. It is very safe, just like the SS and the Stealth.

Back