Where to order Harlan Teklad online for someone in the US?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

*Scratches head* I vaguely remember someone saying you can order directly from the company, but I can't find a purchasing page on their website ...

I tried my local stores, but none of them carry it. And I'm a little leery of buying food on Amazon/Ebay. I would buy from Flower Town Chinchillas, but I live in the US and the shipping would be a bit pricey.

Thanks!

You could try asking for a quote from Flower Town. When I ship hammock orders to the States, it actually ends up being a LOT cheaper than shipping within Canada. For example, it cost me a little over $5 to ship a package to Colorado from southern Ontario, but to ship the SAME package to my parents 45 minutes away by car, it would have cost me over $10.

I'm also interested in finding someplace I could order from!
I know when I got a quote from FTC it was around $25-$30 for shipping alone. The people there even advised me to find someplace in the US.

Smittenkittens said:
I'm also interested in finding someplace I could order from!
I know when I got a quote from FTC it was around $25-$30 for shipping alone. The people there even advised me to find someplace in the US.

For how much? Considering how cheap the food is to begin with (1lbs/1rat/1month) that amount with ship shouldn't make the food overly expensive. I am quoted $29 for ship on my 33lbs and I am in Canada. $50 for 33lbs, divide that by 3 months (which is how long it lasts) = $16.66 for 1 month of food for 8 rats lol I'd pay $30/m for my boys for food no problem.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
Is Harlan a U.S. based business? :scratch:

Better question is does Harlan even sell to individuals, or do you have to have a company base like Flower Town? lol

You can order from http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/native-earth . Native Earth is Harlan's 2018 repackaged for them.

If you are looking for smaller quantities then you should check GooseMoose. There are a couple of U.S. rescues on there who buy Harlan in bulk and re-sell it by the pound.

You could also try coldbloods.com/food.htm , although I wouldn't really want to support their business because (as the name implies) they supply the reptile industry. I don't think it's a stretch to figure out why they would carry rodent food.

I will have to find out how much it would be a month. I'm horrible at math, so, it'll probably take a week or two. :laugh4:

Oh, I have a question. I have five adult girls, one that's a couple of months. Would it be harmful to feed them all the 18% or 14%? They both seem easier to find then the 16%.

There's differing opinions, and the general rule of thumb is the lower the protein, the better, unless they're very young or pregnant. Your girls would all be fine on the 14% or the 18% if you make sure to give extra veggies to counteract the extra protein.

LOTS of people feed the 18% exclusively and are very happy with it.

Considering they've been eating 25% protein, I think 18% would be a step forward.
:)

Hm. I'm a little suspicious of the Native Earth food. Are you sure it's the exact same things? *Goes to compare ingredients..*

Sometimes universities have it. My university uses it, but I couldn't get anyone to give me a real answer on what they'd charge me per pound. Thats sort of what they make it for. (Our lab has mice, and they are doing something cool with genetics, but i don't remember exactly what. They've got really strict rules, and it isn't nearly as scary as i thought... other wise i don't think they'd let people in. My lab TA helped take care of them... I think they get better care than a lot of the poor guys who end up as pets.)
Also the biggest breeder here in Colorado sells it by the pound, but i'm not a huge fan of her (and neither is anyone here whose looked through her page) so I choose not to support her... but if there is a local rescue or good breeder near you, you might check that.

U.S based company:

http://www.thecraftyrat.com

Click on the "Search" tab on the left and type in Harlan Teklad.

They are a great company and their prices are really good.

She ships flat rate and will send you a check if the shipping was less than you paid.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jen

jennifervb said:
U.S based company:

She ships flat rate and will send you a check if the shipping was less than you paid.

Jen
Thanks Jen! Just popped in an order for the 2014 lab blocks.

rhapsody said:
jennifervb said:
U.S based company:

Jen
Thanks Jen! Just popped in an order for the 2014 lab blocks.

YAY!!! :bunnydance:

Glad I could help both you and The Crafty Rat!!!!! :cheeky:

MumsyRat said:
You can order from http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/native-earth . Native Earth is Harlan's 2018 repackaged for them.

If you are looking for smaller quantities then you should check GooseMoose. There are a couple of U.S. rescues on there who buy Harlan in bulk and re-sell it by the pound.

If I ordered the 40 lb bag would most of it need to be frozen? I vaguely remember reading that that stuff needs to be frozen

adreabri said:
MumsyRat said:

If I ordered the 40 lb bag would most of it need to be frozen? I vaguely remember reading that that stuff needs to be frozen

5 rat would eat 40lbs in roughly 8 months. I would leave half out to be used in the first 4 months, and freeze the rest when you get it. We freeze ours and it only last 3months but we have a deep freeze with room.

What I do is I measure out our feeding bin full, then put that food in a groc bag and tie it up. I divide the whole 33lbs out into groc bags so when my feeding bin is out, I grab another a reload :)

Back