Where do you get your?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Sterile Saline without preservatives and where do you get Polysporin eye ointment? I looked for both and there is no Saline without preservatives and I have to have a prescription of Polysporin?

In Canada, we ask our pharmacist for the polysporin eye/ear drops. They don't keep them over the counter, but they do have them in the back and you don't need a prescription here.
As for the saline, I get mine from my vet. I wonder if you can get that at a clinic?
Oh, there's a homemade one... I'm sure someone will come by and give the ratio of water/saline.

See the US sucks. The GOV has their greedy little hands in everything. I am going to call my vet and see if he will let me buy so ointment and Saline without bringing IVY in. He never charges me an office visit so why waste his time.

I put some Natural Tears Visine(I hope it is okay to do) in her eye and it really helped. Her eye was clear. She still scratches it so that is why it so red. But when I saw her this morning it was still clear and open not all squinty like it was. I also put a cool wash rag on it to help with the itching.

Yes, natural tears is ok, it was recommended by my vet to keep one of our rats eyes that was protruding moist.

Hopefully your vet will allow this for you!!

I get my sterile saline at Walmart, over by the pharmacy counter.. I can't remember if it was in with the contacts or in the general first aid aisle, though.. Could maybe ask someone around that department.

The polysporin is the Canadian version of a general triple antibiotic, from what I understand. I've never looked for drops or specifically eye ointment, but there may be one in the first aid aisles..

See they have Polysporin in the first aid but it says not to use it for eyes.

Does your saline have preservatives in it? I can find sterile but it all has preservatives. The Rat Health page said sterile saline without preservatives? Does it really matter?

Mine just says 'Sterile Saline' as the ingredients, nothing else..

I honestly don't know if it matters or not.. I think your best bet may be to use the Natural Tears that you've got and see if your vet can sell you some plain saline. They would definitely have it.

I just called the vet and his going to sell me the Saline and the eye ointment. He said if her eye is not improving by Friday to bring her in. But I think this will help as the Natural Tears made a pretty big difference just from last night. She looked more comfortable.

Polysporin for eyes.

Polysporinforeyes.jpg

My vet okayed it with my Sebastian. :)

hrmm.. I've got two triple antibiotic ointments. One says for eyes, the other is a cheap Neosporin.. Now if only I could remember where on earth I got them!!

See, UH, I aksed the pharmacist and he said that Polysporin for the eyes is prescription only, stupid FDA. I found a Canadian online pharmacy that will sell it for $23.95 US but shipping takes 21 days.

At least my vet is cooperative, and will sell it without seeing her. :wink:

But i just noticed that you are in Georgia, so think real hard. "Where did I get the eye goo, where did I get the eye goo????"

Well, after consulting everyone who lives in my house... I got the eye goo from the vet. My brother's dog got into a scrap with my mom's dog [60lb Afghan mix vs 20lb terrier] and caught her eyelid. We had the ointment left over from that and it got assimilated into my first aid kit. Sorry!

hehe, yea, I'm state side. Everyone thinks I'm Canadian, though. Can't quite figure out why..

Our sterile saline comes from my youngest brother in law, who has loads on hand due to his medical issues. Same with alcohol wipes and all the gauze you'd ever want!

Lens Plus brand is a preservative free sterile saline solution - you'll find it with the contact lens solutions. You can get it at Walgreens.

Back