Where are GTA people taking their rats...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

while Dr. Munn is out of commission?
I have always liked and trusted Dr. Luckwadlt at Amherst, but it is just such a bitch to get an appointment with him.
Where are others going?

I can tell you where not to go:

Links animal hospital. They charged me 80$ just to look at my rat. She had mites and I wanted to make sure revolution was safe but the vet had no idea... plus she wanted to charge me to do a skin scrapping for 35$ and was going to prescribe mite/flea dust if she wasn't pregnant. We all know that stuff is bad for rats and that a skin scrapping will come back inconclusive.

I have yet to try my reg vet, Dr. Hall at Willowdale, but they are probably better.

Thanks, I avoid Links Road like the plague when it comes to the rats. I have been there and knew within minutes that they had no clue about rats at all. I even had to fax the vets information about CAR Bacillius (sp) because they had no idea that rats and rabbits could get it. They are a terrible ripoff and I have even said to other vets that they are not doing rat owners any good by referring them to Links.
When you say Willowdale, do you mean the 24 hour clinic on Sheppard between Yonge and Bathurst? They don't know really anything about rats either, been there too. I had a boy stitched up there once, because it was an emergency, but after my experiences I wouldn't use them for anything but emergencies.
Those two other T.O. references are way in the west end, I was hoping someone could suggest someone more in the east end. It's just that I haven't been to another vet in forever, and I was hoping that there might have been a couple of new ones that might have popped up.

I just met with Dr Selinger in Unionville at Bridle Trail Vet Clinic. She seemed reasonably well informed, but admitted to having never done a spay. But, as I've only been there once, and am fairly new with rat vets I'm not giving her a seal of approval yet.

She does really like rats, though... that's a huge plus. Big minus is their scale is not sensitive enough to properly weigh them.

I'd love for you to go to her and see what you think... I need a second opinion.

moon said:
I just met with Dr Selinger in Unionville at Bridle Trail Vet Clinic. She seemed reasonably well informed, but admitted to having never done a spay. But, as I've only been there once, and am fairly new with rat vets I'm not giving her a seal of approval yet.
She does really like rats, though... that's a huge plus. Big minus is their scale is not sensitive enough to properly weigh them.
I'd love for you to go to her and see what you think... I need a second opinion.

Now that you mention it, I do remember contacting them and being told that the head vet had owned rats, or did at the time. This was a couple of years ago. Thanks for reminding me. I know my sister has taken cats into them, I think they might be costly because of the location. Whatever it takes, though.
It isn't an emergency or anything, I just want to be prepared.

My brother in law is a member of the Markham Studio Tour Committee, and my sister tells me that they have a new member this year. Dean Axelson from Links Road. I think that she says that he paints. He also apparently lives in Stouffville.
Maybe that will be good for my neice, she has a bearded dragon.

Dr. Selinger is in Unionville, so a lot of things are on the pricey side.

But when she saw both my girls, she only charged me for one exam, and it was just slightly cheaper than Dr. Munn was. Not that I have a problem with what Dr. Munn was charging, as she's the best.... just to give a price perspective.

I did get a call from Markham Heritage Vet Clinic on Friday, from a vet who is apparently treating exotics. I haven't been, but could be another option in a pinch.

Sometimes it's luck of the draw. This is a useless post, just to forewarn you. ;)

I had a mouse a few years ago out in Kingston, far from my dad's clinic, and so went to the only vet clinic I knew of. They didn't know anything about exotics but the vet there (Dr. Janice...___) saw my little baby mouse and gave me a formula, syringe, and tips to keep him going all for free. Unfortunately he died as soon as I got home from the clinic (I bought him the day before...he didn't look too great then so I felt badly for him, being sick in a tiny gallon of a ton of mice...). But it really is so great when a vet gives you resources, advice, and their time for no charge or anything.

Anyway, as posted in the sticky I see Bev Bateman. Grab her while you can, she's a mother of two little boys and I don't think she'll last much longer with all the stress in her life. :( Such a great person/vet though!

Back