When to switch out non-demolished hanging chew toys?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

For enrichment (and decoration), I've got a bunch of those hanging chew toys in the rat cages. Some get shredded within a week. Others get nibbled on, but end up being used more as a punching bag.

Uh, I've realized that some of the non-destroyed toys have been hanging there for well over a month. At what point do I toss out the chew toys that are still intact? They're not exactly washable since they're mostly made of paper, cardboard, and wood.

rhapsody said:
For enrichment (and decoration), I've got a bunch of those hanging chew toys in the rat cages. Some get shredded within a week. Others get nibbled on, but end up being used more as a punching bag.

Uh, I've realized that some of the non-destroyed toys have been hanging there for well over a month. At what point do I toss out the chew toys that are still intact? They're not exactly washable since they're mostly made of paper, cardboard, and wood.

I keep all mine that arent demolished lol since mine dont really touch then theya re clean... but I switch them out and aroudn every cage cleaning

If they're hanging toys it's not like they're getting peed on or anything so I think it would be fine. Mine have never really torn through an entire toy (mostly just their favourite pieces which I replace from time to time) and I've never had a problem.

You can revamp some of the old ones too!

I have some that are pieces of wood on a chain. When they are new they come with paper wrapping the wood - like a candy wrapper. My guys will rip off all the paper and chew on the wood for a while, then leave it be. So, I take the pieces off the chain and recover them in paper. They treat it like new. Alternatively, if you have 2 cages you could repaper them and switch which cages they are in.

You can also get a roll of tickets (they sell them at dollar stores) and add the tickets to the hanging toy. For some reason my guys like the paper the most. Keep adding the paper and the toys are still used.

Back