When to seperate/wean?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So, babies are now just over 3 weeks old. They have been eating baby cereal and munching on the lab blocks (even drinking out of the waterbottle...nice!).

So, mom is still feeding them because she has no choice (the little savages) but I think it's time to get the boys outta there just in case. They were born on the 17th of June. Let's say the 16th just to be on the safe side, so they are now 23 days old. Almost ready to leave the nest. Any takers?

Will it be ok to put dad straight in with the boys? Or should I do intros? Dad is an extremely gentle/scared little man.

Separate the baby boys just before 5 weeks of age.
Mom will wean them, and will continue to nurse for awhile longer.
You just need to keep providing the baby cereal, lab blocks, vegs, etc.

I usually suggest by 4.5 weeks, so somewhere around 30-32 days. You'll want to go ahead and do intros between the boys and their dad. He won't recognize them as such, and it could be a tussle. Rats that react from fear can be just as bad as aggressive rats.

ETA : I'd say it's more like Mom tries to wean them, only to be dragged down by the wee parasites. Shelagh's rescue litter girls continued to try and nurse for quite some time after the boys had been separated.

Back