When to let the boys loose in the FN?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

OK, would it be insane to let my ratties loose in the FN even though I know they can squeeze through the bars?

Currently I'm keeping them in their temporary cage which is inside the FN. Any time I'm home I open the temp cage and they're free to roam the FN (most of time the FN doors are wide open) and anytime I leave home or head to bead I put them back in the temp cage. Today I accidentally feel asleep for a few hours while they were roaming free and when I woke up their were all there in their cage. Other then that they haven't shown any interest in leaving the FN, infact anytime I let put them on the bed (right next to the FN) to play the first thing they do i run back to the FN, guess they are not the explorer types?

So should I risk it? As their getting bigger (they're about 7-8 weeks now) I hate keeping them in the temp cage but the worst part is that one of the boys is still pretty timid and I have to "strongly encourage" him when its time to go to the back to temp cage.

If you have nothing that can harm them in the room, I'd go for it. When my Sebbie was 2 months old, I housed him in an FN, he never tried to get out although, I know he could have if he wanted to.

Yes like Jo said as long as they are safe I would go for it to.....I put my group in the FN quite young and no one ever got out........In fact Piper my smallest rat could get out very easily if she wanted and she never has....they have lived in the FN for about 7 months now.

My male rats didn't escape, but Onigiri and Yuki would sit on the top. Then Onigiri kept escaping and getting in my drawer, she was easy to find, and I couldn't bare to put them in the tiny cage, so she got to escape every now and again.

When my two little girls were adopted they were six weeks old on the dot and could fit through the bars easy peasy but just never felt so inclined. The only reason I used mesh was because of one of the five girls, lol.

It appears the boys have gone through a bit of a growth spurt, they can stick their heads through the bars (for a treat) but the rest of body seems to be a chore to get through :p

In prep for the move I've moved their temp cage to the top of the FN and left the door open and let them roam between the two. Still haven't seen any inklings to explore outside the cage, whats more they don't even seem to curious about the bottom of the FN either now that there temp cage isn't there :lol:.

Going to wait till Friday before let them stay in the FN unattended.

Back