When should I add new rats to my shrinking colony?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

OK, so here is the scenario:
I have three rats left;
Daffy: 25 months old, has a head tilt but otherwise healthy
Sabrina: 37 months old, getting a bit stiff moving, walks on her heels, but otherwise healthy
Poppy: 25 months old, Daffy's sister. I think she may be in the early stages of a pituitary tumor, something's just not right with her. Otherwise healthy.

So, the girls have always lived in a big colony. I am worried that they will start to get stressed out the smaller the colony gets. I am worried that the girls will get so sick/infirm that one girl (probably Daffy) will be all by herself at the end. I want to add a couple more rats to the colony before these three get too sick to deal with newcomers, but now I suspect Poppy may be heading downhill.
So the first question is,
Should I add new rats now? Or wait until the whole Poppy issue is resolved (which could be several months, by which time Sabrina may be infirm)
The next question is,
Should I get babies vs. 5-6 month old girls that need a home? I am worried that older girls will challenge my oldies, where babies will probably accept my girls as the bosses.

So, what do you think?

There are so many factors to take into consideration at this time. But I can sure understand why you are ready for "new blood" in the colony.
I would probably get 2 months old if possible.
Now, intros could speed the PT. That would be my only concern there with the stress of new rats.

jorats said:
Now, intros could speed the PT. That would be my only concern there with the stress of new rats.
Hmmmm......so if I get more ratties, then having Poppy on medication first could be very important...

I have found adding babies to an "oldies" group can add life to them. Like they enjoy watching the kids play and "mothering" them...I am at 4 rats right now but have two around 2 years and two under 1 year.

Babies usually make for an easy intro, but I've done intros with older rats, too. So I don't think you should hesitate to turn down rats in need if they are older. Even one-year-olds can liven up an older group and get them using their wheels again. That's what Jenny and Anna did for my group when I brought them into the mischief.

Watch out-- you will be inundated with requests to adopt! Soon you'll have forty rats :)

My initial vote would go for babies, the younger the better! Little babies would be easier accepted by your oldies who wouldn't see them as a big threat to their dominance, and the playful little scamps would get your elderly ladies enjoying life again. But I do agree, if you come across some rodents in trouble who aren't super young, I'm sure things would work out fine if you did intros with them aswell.

Joanne said:
jorats said:
Hmmmm......so if I get more ratties, then having Poppy on medication first could be very important...

Why would it speed up PT? Could it speed it up if you don't know the rat even has it?

dspch911 said:
Joanne said:
jorats said:

Why would it speed up PT? Could it speed it up if you don't know the rat even has it?

Stress can and will aggravate anything and compromise the immune system.

Back