When do babies leave their mom?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally, 6 weeks old for girls, 5 weeks old for boys but the boys should remain together until 6 weeks. This is better for them socially.

It really would depend on how docile the older rats are. Some older rats welcome young ones, as young as 6 weeks but then some will attack the babies.
Personally, I like to wait till the babies are at least 2 months old.

Thanks!
I am asking because my friend had an accidental litter and i will be adopting a few. They were born at the end of October she says. I hope that is still young enough to do lots of beneficial socialization and handling. I missed out with the adolescences i adopted and it makes such a difference.

Seperate them between 4,5-5 weeks. de girls offcourse can stay longer with ther mother. I introduce baby rats when there at least 125 gram. with that weight, if a rat bites, the baby is big enough to survive it. My 2 youngsters i introduced when they were around 6/7 weeks old. but i have to say that my 4 guys are all castrated and very laid back and easy to new baby rats. If you have a few more aggressive ones, i HIGHLY recommend to wait with the introducion till the little one is at least 125 gram.

Edit; If your friend is holding the babyrats in her hands every day (most ppl hold them in there hands since day 1) they should be very socialized. so no worries. ;) Even older rats you can socialize. I had a very young mother who was frightened of people, it took me a year but even she became friendly and curieus towards people. but baby rats are easy to soicalize. :)

If your friend has been handling the babies and interacting with them as she should be, they should be very well socialized even if they're older. There may still be an adjustment period while they get used to you and their new home, but nothing like a pet store rat who has never been handled at all.

I always wait until they are 10-12 weeks for boys who are being introduced to full grown, intact males. If the other boys are younger, then I would be comfortable a bit earlier than that.
I also find that the longer the 'new' boys are in my home the better if I am doing introductions, and not just immediately after their quarantine is up.

Back