Wheezing, sneezing and chirping?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livyaahh

My male rat Jerry (I think he must be about one year old now) is ill. I'm trying to find a suitable vets to take him to. He wheezes a lot, sneezes less often, but still quite a lot, and he has just been chirping right now. I think he has chirped before, but I didn't realize that it was chirping until now. He is very thin but I think he eats the amount that he should (he does live with a fat rat though so maybe I'll watch next time I feed them to make sure), and he has a wet nose but no porphyrin around his eyes or nose so I don't think its a respiratory infection.

Does anybody know what is wrong with him?

It could be pneumonia, which is contagious. Clear discharge can still be an infection, or an illness like pneumonia. That + wheezing sounds like pneumonia to me, though I could be wrong - either way he needs a vet and some meds to clear out whatever is going on, and you might want to quarantine him asap in case it is pneumonia. Anyone would rather have one sick rat than two.

Keep him with his friend, seperating them will only cause stress.
If it is anything contagious, your other boy has already been exposed.

Rats become ill and die fast so you need to take him to a vet now
It is possible that he isn't eating much because it is hard to eat and breath at the same time.

It sounds like he needs to see a vet asap to get on antibiotics
If he has fluid building up in his lungs he may need lasix.

This may be useful : http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

What is his breathing like?
When you hold him up and listen to each side of his chest, how does his breathing sound?

SQ said:
Keep him with his friend, seperating them will only cause stress.
If it is anything contagious, your other boy has already been exposed.
:oops: sorry, didn't know that that would be best..

jorats said:
Wheezing is not good and definitely a respiratory infection.
Can you see a vet and get Baytril?
yes once I find a suitable vets he is going for a check up. I'm taking all 4 of my boys because he has been exposed to all of them. Also, I'm pretty sure they all have mites, so they're all going for that reason too

Back