Wheel Runners and temperament

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarats

I have one baby male in the litter that loves to run wheel, and I find it cute. What are the odds he will grow out of it?

Are there any common characteristics of temperament that you find among wheel runners, re. how their adult personalities will turn out?

the wheel runners I have, those that really really want to run in the wheel, are a bit on the nervous or high strung side.
But I have not had a ton of rats, and only a few have really really wanted to use the wheel- & all of those were girls.

I had a larger group of rats who would use it sometimes if they were bored, even a couple of boys who liked to get in and plod along slowly LOL I don't know if they used wheels as babies as I've never gotten a rat younger than er, 3 or 4 mos old.

so far, the committed runners I've had (and the two I have now) are high energy rats.

I have one girl who seems to need to run any time something new has happened or she's been startled, it's almost as if running is her way of processing things, or her place to process things, I'm not sure which!

Males sadly grow out of the wheel running in time, but not always. I have a group of brothers here older than 2 and biig and they still "run" on the wheel. I've even had elderly males figure it out and start. :)

I find some wheel runners are the nervous and hyper sort and this gives them something to work things out on :)

Others just enjoy it immensely :D I like wheel runners personally as they stay healthier and at a better weight with the exercise overall.

Last edited:
And you guys dont find them more neurotic than other rats?

How about adjustment to stress? Are they less prone to stress related myco flareups ?

And you guys dont find them more neurotic than other rats?

How about adjustment to stress? Are they less prone to stress related myco flareups ?

hahaha I haven't had enough rats to know if one is more "neurotic" than others- if you ask me, they are all a bit nutty in their own ways ;-)

I never would have thought to try to pair up wheel running with anything else in their temperament or overall health.
In humans, being physically active is good thing and helps you deal with stress and possibly be healthier,
so wheel running seems like a good thing.

I wonder if rats get a runner's high? that could explain why those who run a lot and run fast, really want to keep doing it,
whereas other rats who never really got going that fast, don't seek the wheel out as reliably as the faster rats and those who like to run for longer periods of time.
*shrug*

interesting thing to think about

OMG even the 2 big boys??

They don't do it often but I do catch them on it once in a while. That wheel is always going and there's someone different in it each time I check.

Out of the 11, each one is unique in behaviour, no neurotic behaviour, some are laid back, some are skittish, some are bullies. And sadly, they are not in the best of health. It's definitely their genetics because they all seem to be prone to respiratory infections since they've been young.

Back