Wheel? Do you?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a wheel in your rat cage(s)?

• Yes! And they use it!

• Yes, but they DON'T use it.

• No, I used to have one, but they never used it.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kupcake

Just wondering if any of you have wheels in your cages and if your rats actually use them. I have never had a rat use one, but I put one in the boy's cage Saturday and am going to see if they warm to it.

I bought my girls a wheel, because their foster home had one and she said they liked it, but they never touched it. May try it again when I get them in the new cage.

my girls have had a silent spinner and a wodent wheel, and they used both .
the wodent wheel didn't hold up as well as the silent spinner, but one of my girls really prefers the wodent wheel so I might get her one again at some point if I can find one cheap enough

all of my girls will use the wheel but some use it a lot more than others, and at least one of my girls would be very upset not to have a wheel- she's a very high energy, kinda high strung lady who really seems to need to run off her excess energy :giggle:

I was skeptical about having a wheel because my first girls wouldn't use one at all but I think it's because they weren't exposed to it early enough......??

Erk, you don't have the option that some use it and some don't. Hehe, you also didn't specify what they use their wheel for ...

My two feisty females enjoy going for jogs in their wheel. I have one male that'll waddle in it, another male that avoids it completely, and still another male that likes to nap in it.

I have a silent spinner wheel! The ones who were young when I put the wheel in their use it, the ones who were older when I put it in there do not use it.

I've always had a wheel in the cage until recently. Darn thing broke. But there has always been one or two rats who used it. Even oldies... I remember my loki using it at 40 months old. :)

rhapsody said:
Erk, you don't have the option that some use it and some don't. Hehe, you also didn't specify what they use their wheel for ...

My two feisty females enjoy going for jogs in their wheel. I have one male that'll waddle in it, another male that avoids it completely, and still another male that likes to nap in it.
Haha exactly. One of my girls is a religious runner, though she will stash food in the wheel. I have two others, who very much enjoy hanging out in it, or sleeping in it, and rarely run in it :giggle:

I also have a wheel in my fosters cage, they both love to run...at one in the morning...lol.

Oh and I use a wobust wodent wheel and a silent spinner...it will eventually be two wodent wheels though, I greatly prefer them.

It all depends on the rat. In my experience most girls run and most boys will up until a certain age (when they get lazy) unless their name is Aro who would run 24/7 if he could :giggle:

They have access to one, either during outtime or in the cage..
I have a savic wheel..
Never ever seen them use it for anything other than to sleep in tho...

My boys sleep in their wheel....one used to use it till the one showed him how to snooze in it..

All my double CNs have wheels in each level (one on top, one on bottom) at all times. Some rats use them, some don't. Because I have so many rats coming and going it's hard to keep track of who really likes them. I use a mish-mash of Silent Spinners and Comfort Wheels - all 12 inches - whatever gets donated to me.

I choose not to use a wheel in either of my cages. For years prior to my ever getting rats, I knew quite a few girls who did, and they often talked about how rats (and other small animals) could easily become "addicted" to wheels and begin refusing to leave them to eat or drink, so it wasn't something I ever wanted to risk when I got my own.

^^ Wheels help rats burn a lot of energy, its really good for them. Rats are too smart to not eat or drink!

One of my girls, Delilah, is absolutely obsessed with the wheel. If other rats are running in it when she wants to use it she turfs them out. I have an extra one outside the cage and sometimes she will run in it during playtime!
I have two other rats that like it, but three of the others are disinterested, or just like to perch in it. I think it depends a lot on the rat, and sometimes even having it at a young age or being introduced later doesn't seem to be a factor.

My oldest boys, Indy and Loki, love the wheel. They will squabble over it every chance they get. :p

My second oldest boys, Dally and Soda, aren't all that interested. I've never seen them run in it.

My youngest boys, Beau, Jude and Hero, will sit in the wheel sometimes... When I slowly turn the wheel for them, they'll trot in it, and will continue to trot when I stop manually turning the wheel, but they never take the intiative themselves. XD

I think wheels are great! They're certainly a great form of exercise.

I love watching Loki on the wheel, because he'll run in it for a minute or two, stop, then survey his surroundings, as if he'd expected himself to be in a completely different place LMAO! He'll repeat this process every time he uses the wheel. XD It's really hilarious!

Back