what's your homemade recipes for your rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

id like to start some new things for my girls and wondered about other people's "recipes" for their rats? like foods your rat enjoy eating and mixes that you make for them?

right now mine only get veggies and fruits and sometimes baby soy milk mixed with whole wheat baby cereal,non salted crackers.

My girls usually get some of whatever I'm eating minus any added salt, sugar or forbidden foods. Blending their food does make it way less messy though.

cooked pasta, tuna and sweetcorn mixed up with a side salad.

baby cereal mixed up with strawberry nutri-drink, crushed crackers, chopped apples and pears (or whatever fruit i have), and a bit of honey all mixed together.

ryelle said:
cooked pasta, tuna and sweetcorn mixed up with a side salad.

baby cereal mixed up with strawberry nutri-drink, crushed crackers, chopped apples and pears (or whatever fruit i have), and a bit of honey all mixed together.

nice stuff keep them coming :D i never knew some of the stuff they can have. such as tuna and stuff.

I'm afraid I'm quite boring when it comes to my rats' diet...
They only get their blocks and daily fresh veggies like broccoli, kale, peas, carrots, baby greens, some corn, occasionally they get sweet potato and squash. They also get a banana a few times a week and multigrain cheerios once or twice a week.
I'm anal about keeping them quite slim, I believe that is the secret to a healthier life. Now if only I can do that to my own body. lol

FIRST:
boil in a pot.
Sweed and carrot.
then mash it up and YUM.
my rats love it as a treat as it is cooked i dont think it really gives them much nutrition but they sure love sweed. RAW OR COOKED.

SECOND:
In a pot boil (dryed)
Chick peas
brown/green lentals
mung beans
(any other lentals)
Boil till soft
Then cook whole grain brown rice and mix the 2 together.
OK this they get every few days and go MAD. I think the lentals and such are a little high in pritien so they only get a little bit..(most of it goes to my birds haha)

THIRD:
As i have many birds i make my own seed bells and the rats get one once in a while
Take large parrot seed and to every 2 cups of seed add 1 egg white.
Plce in any greese proof mold cook till hard.. cool and enjoy.

So yeh there is a few things i give my girls.

These are treats and they only get them every so often... Most of their diet is grain mix and salads

Jo, you can still do some good stuff with just your veggies.
I make my guys mash, made with half normal potato and half sweet potato, i mix in cooked chopped carrot pieces, peas, sweetcorn and mash in some brocoli (i try make the brocoli not completely mashed, so there is some large-ish bits in). Served warm its good, and its still tasty once it cools if they dont eat it all in one sitting

I sometimes mix up mash with the normal and sweet potato mix and stir in scrambled eggs.

You can also add rice if u fancied it. Even with "boring" stuff like plain veggies u can still do some interesting stuff

Remember that wheat pasta and brown rice are better than "normal" pasta and white rice - less starchy and more fibre.

The thing with veggies, if you over cook them or even over steam them, all the nutrients are gone. I'd rather give them fresh or frozen/thawed.

I've always looked at it this way.. if the majority of their diet is processed (lab blocks) it makes sense that their supplementation be fresh. Our food isn't cooked all the time, theirs shouldn't be either. So I usually stick to veggies as their "meals", but obviously they get other treats too :)

I just blended applesauce, total cereal and carrots and my girls seem to like but i'm sure it would have been better with fruit maybe i'll try it in a few days with banana

Moon said:
I've always looked at it this way.. if the majority of their diet is processed (lab blocks) it makes sense that their supplementation be fresh. Our food isn't cooked all the time, theirs shouldn't be either. So I usually stick to veggies as their "meals", but obviously they get other treats too :)

I like to think my guys enjoy variety every now and again (eating the same old lab block every day for your whole life cant be that exciting), which is why they occasionally get a bit of a different type of mash lol - but i agree. Veggie's DO lose their nutritional value if you boil them or over steam them.

Fruit salads are a good idea too i think. Chopped up different fruits and the juices into a mix.

Umm... i keep thinking of Grapes, but i can't remember why... ill let you know when i remember

Oh... talking about veggies losing their nutritional value once cooked..... What about Corn thats still on the Cob? My mum has bags of them in the freezer and i normally boil them till they go soft, cool them down and give the cobs to my guys. Do they need to be cooked or can they be given raw?? Anybody got any ideas what to do with a Cob of Corn?

I want Shelagh's recipe for veggie oatmeal! her rats go crazy for it.

I mash ripe banana with avocado for my senior rats who need the extra calories. For the others, who don't need any extra weight, I just mix fruit & veggies together in a colourful way, e.g. banana with lettuce, peas and carrots, broccoli & melon & watermelon. Their plates look so nice they could be in a cooking magazine! Must be the influence of one of my friends who is a chef; she is very big on presentation.

The senior girls need a bit of persuasion to eat sometimes, so I mix their dissolved lab blocks with baby cereal and a bit of olive oil.

Yum yum yum. I'm going to try some of the ideas you guys posted.

I believe that rats are ok with raw corn but I do boil mine but more as a treat for them. When I give them corn I give them frozen/thawed.

In addition to Mazuri blocks (I HATE HATE HATE them) I usually give my girls fat-free yogurt or applesauces and some sortof fruit/veggie. Not the greatest or most nutritious thing, but they love it.

My boys favorite treat are cooked peas, they go crazy about them ^_^
But i do need to try some of these stuff, for them and myself, it sounds yummy :D

Back