What's happening now....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
So the rescue is full of little faces that need homes. Sadly it is also full of little boys that need neuters in order for me to feel safe with putting them in homes. Some are just a bit angry and will need these to get the best advantage in life.

We have had some loses as usual. I have stopped posting memorials for whatever reason I think I was worried if the shack would be here and I transferred doing my memorials to my rescued pet rat owners page on fb.

We had to have Jack put to sleep this week he was riddled with masses in this belly. small round ones. Jack came in with Willie as biter boys living in a very gross cage.
10291349_10152143089246409_5430527575144605557_n.jpg

Minerva passed. I think I mentioned that one on here in her post.

Tonight I found my Ace had left. He has his leg amputation in March and was doing well. Never even had a reason to think he would go.
10322759_10152147489981409_8723637620993372965_n.jpg

My phatty phantom has to have his teeth trimmed, he has a tumor but he is going downhill so fast. I will be putting him to sleep very soon.

10300089_10152147587671409_4661941664551497717_n.jpg

Rj and Dirk were neutered on Monday since RJ was beating the snot out of Dirk. Sadly I think their neuter fees wont be recouped to move onto other but they needed it so bad we had to get them done first. Usually I hope for them to get adopted so I can put that money towards others but the wont be the case here. I dont think they will be adoptable but I will place them on petfinder once they are ready and happy.

RJ was put back together 3 times that day since he kept opening it. They started to call him Humpty dumpty since they had to keep gluing him back up.
10382641_10152147562256409_463710017627813906_n.jpg

10330300_10152141131866409_7965225263431575967_n.jpg

Dirks injury from RJ.
10329261_10152138589481409_6145816077054141060_n.jpg

Gloria who came in with Cashew that were living in a garage. Has pt. She has been treated and has responded very well. She had owie stretches a few nights ago and I thought it was the end. She recovered the next day and was fine.

Cooper who came in a year ago or more and was neutered shortly after due to rat aggression now lives with Gloria, cashew and 4 other girls that came in recently. I dont want cashew to be alone so I intro'd her and Gloria to the new girls who are just little darlings.

Rocky was neutered over a month ago. he was a very hormonal boy. He is now living with 4 girl friends who are meaner than all get out. Cruella, Ursula, Medusa and patchy. Those 4 girls came in with Ella and Cee-Cee and are just biter girls who cannot be held. I think I posted her screaming video when I pet her LOL
1175461_10152118590311409_4551139653078755051_n.jpg

Charlie was neutered with Rocky, he is still failing his intros he is a mean boy so he will end up being a lifer here.
10247339_10152114777466409_4242094097535407792_n.jpg

I will be doing my first ever adoption event on 5/31/14 at Tractor Supply Store here in town I have an adopter who adopted from me last year and her son who is 10 I think and my 17 year old daughter who will be with us. We have tons of flyers and cards thanks to Velo who made me an official logo and flyers. I have poster boards that Zander the 10 year old boy will be getting ready for me. I have a list of rats to take with us. I am so excited. I am hoping this will help get our name out there for homes or foster homes.

1609970_10152145331401409_4172357167485144819_n.jpg

10299131_10152145331451409_8310039135063540626_n.jpg

3 of my 4 sickly seniors are cuddling up. Makes me happy to see they have each other. Remy the starved boy, Jax, and paul. Both remy and paul where living alone till I was able to put them with Jax and Phatty.
1901291_10152147496606409_5511107239810416537_n.jpg

It is an emotional week here with the sickly rats and deaths and the thoughts of who is up for next surgery. Some weeks it is harder than others. I will be off the next two weekends so it will be a plus I will make some time to enjoy those days off. I need a little recouping time. I find it hard to decide who to have surgeries on. I would prefer to have them done and be adopted that way I have money towards others. Some boys it is a must since they are so miserable but even though I know they wont leave here I have a hard time justifying it in my mind. I know it is the right decision but it makes me worried about what if someone else needs it more? I guess it is the rescue brain trying to make sure I am doing these in the right order and not putting money where it would be wasted since it is hard to come by with so many that needs them. I think sometimes I worry I will neuter them and run out of funds. Not that I do that but I think I still worry a bit much LOL

Wow, lots going on for sure! You must get exhausted sometimes. It's hard going through a run of sickies and deaths. It sounds like you are doing the best for the ratties though, and that's what matters. You are making a difference one rat at a time.
I like that saying that goes something like this:
To the world, it's just one rat,
but to the rat you are its world.
Peace

Hope,
Your post just made me tear up...you are a true angel to ratties and you make such a difference. I also cannot offer enough condolences for your babies that will be leaving soon and the ones who have already gone to the Bridge. Who can ever say enough to encompass the heartbreak and the sadness? But I know you find happy things to focus on with the ones who are still going strong and have more life to live. Bless your heart and I know the rats are saying THANK YOU, complete with licky kisses. :heart:

Keep on trucking, Peggy.
I saw those babes, and they're so much better with you.
The work you put into helping them is so appreciated, really.
It will all be okay in the end, even if it's hard sometimes!!
Sending some happiness and hopefulness your way!! <3
Oh and the girls told me they wanted to help get some boys neutered... They're the bosses, so...
<3
c;

Keep on trucking, Peggy.
I saw those babes, and they're so much better with you.
The work you put into helping them is so appreciated, really.
It will all be okay in the end, even if it's hard sometimes!!
Sending some happiness and hopefulness your way!! <3
Oh and the girls told me they wanted to help get some boys neutered... They're the bosses, so...
<3
c;

Yes I just about cried when I seen the email. I am running through who to neuter now! I am trying to decide which boys need it now more than the others. Thank you for your help on getting two boys neuters. I am just speechless and they will be ball-less! It is so hard to decide on who to do next. I am thinking the two newest boys who came in the tank since they are so young and need a new life!

Think of all the awesome good karma she's accumulating!!

I wish that was the case but it isnt. My new jeep the windshield cracked because of a pothole they think it flexed my car enough to break the windshield! I keep getting bad luck, these rats are my happy moments where I know I make a difference.

Yes I just about cried when I seen the email. I am running through who to neuter now! I am trying to decide which boys need it now more than the others. Thank you for your help on getting two boys neuters. I am just speechless and they will be ball-less! It is so hard to decide on who to do next. I am thinking the two newest boys who came in the tank since they are so young and need a new life!

Speechless and ball-less! :lol:
Glad we could help get some boys snipped. :thumbsup:

Well my Phatty Phantom left me. I am of course just heartbroken that his time here with me is gone. I had him for 2 years he was just the sweetest boy. A riot to watch at dinner time.

I am torn at who to neuter. I have a single boy abraham who could use a buddy. The final single boy, and Otto the naked menace who is living with my big group but a total terror to them all. Not in a bad way he dont beat them up but he humps them all and the big boys dont play that game...

I have Opie and Clay who needs it, Opie beats up clay when food is around or if i change cages to much on him. He dont do change well at all.

I have the two tank boys the beige boy tries to bite me constantly. He is a jerkface but the other guy needs it to. I need a single girl to spay for Hershel he is the tilty boy from chicago so I dont want to neuter him but needs a girl. But I dont have any single girls only groups that I wouldnt really want to break up. I would spay one of the girls and put them with him that would probably work :(

It is just so frustrating to have so many that need it but to be limited on who you can do. They have to eat so their food orders are usually a lot. Meds it all adds up fast. Thankfully donations help us manage. I havent counted but I am sure I am at 100 at least. I stopped counting a long time ago. I go by cages and when they are full then I am full. Yet I still keep getting calls and there are very few rescues in the area that will take them now.

image.jpg

and 4 of goldies boys who I think will have to be neutered I think they inherited her attitude. 2 was able to move into my big group but 4 of these boys gashed up my other rats so they got kicked out LOL they are ok together as long as I dont change cages on them. If i do all hell breaks loose with these babies. I dont think adoption willl happen as long as these guys are intact.

Aww, that's a cute pic!

You are working so hard, and yes, some of the boys need a neuter, but first things first - you are making sure that they have a warm safe place to live and food in their bellies, and THAT is the most important thing.
You're doing a great job!!!
:ratwave:

This is why I am so excited about the adoption event. I hope we can get our names out there a little more maybe find some fosters or something. I am gonna try to do some more events but with my work schedule it is a bit hard since I work every weekend. Only a few more days till the event so keep your fingers crossed for us.

Back