What would you call this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keysong

When I was younger, I had a rat named Cheddar (imaginative, I know). She was a greyish hooded. (I know there's no colour called grey, but she wasn't very blue at all... is there a special name for a very grey blue?) Anyway, she had a black spot on her back, right in the middle. How often does this happen? Does it have a special name? I don't think I've ever seen another rat that was more than two colours...

I guess so, but it didn't really look like that - it was a fairly large, solid black spot, and just one. Other than that, she was totally blueish-grey and white. Does that still make sense? I'll have to try and find a picture of her...

She was, and she was a sweetie too... but she developed a tumour that couldn't have been removed because of her age. She eventually had to be put to sleep, but she was my heart rat. She was a squish, and I've never met another female rat that was quite like her. She loved going outside. :heart: I miss my Cheddar.

I just found out that I remembered her wrong... she was indeed a pearl merle. Well, I'm glad I know now. I was always very confused.

Found them!

Miscellaneous-2003-312.jpg

Miscellaneous-2003-29.jpg

She looks more like a mink merle than a pearl merle IMO. I had a mink merle and they are darker than pearls. She's very a beautiful girl. :heart:

Thank you guys. She was a lovely girl. And despite being a pet store rat, she never head a single health problem up to the end. :heart:

On a different note, I went to PetStupid today and they had a single female rat in the tiny little tank. She looked like she was about 3 or 4 weeks old. I was angry, but I couldn't do anything about it. Graah, I hate pet stores.

moon said:

Not always...some minks are lighter than others I think. I had a mink merle and the merle markings made her appear lighter. Granted she was full merle. I'm probably wrong about this rat though since I'm certainly no expert on colours...the second picture just looks a lot like Yoda who was a mink merle.

Back