What to use for flooring on my cage levels?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flailinggypsy

So, this is my cage... not super fancy but I've tried to make it fun for them. According to the rat cage calculator this cage is big enough for 2 rats if the space is used wisely. Eventually I want to get them a bigger cage though. My concern now is the ledges, what could I use for the flooring so they don't get bumble foot? Any other ideas for toys and fun stuff for them to do? Any advice or ideas is appreciated. :) I want to make their cage as fun and stimulating as possible for them.

I think people use stick on linoleum tiles, place mats from the dollar store cut to size, and/or fleece. Wire floors alone do not cause bumblefoot, but a combination of bacteria, genetics, existing health issues, and lack of a soft place to rest.

I suggest dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit.
Poke a couple of holes in the sides/lips of each tray and cable tie them to the side of the cage.
Wipe them off daily, and if they get chewed, they are easy and cheap to replace.

SQ said:
Poke a couple of holes in the sides/lips of each tray and cable tie them to the side of the cage.
Wipe them off daily, and if they get chewed, they are easy and cheap to replace.

That's a GREAT idea! Thanks!

flailinggypsy said:
SQ said:

That's a GREAT idea! Thanks!

they do work the best but sometimes when I can't find those I buy the plastic place mats from the dollar store...and fasten them the same way...cheap and easy to wipe

I like the dollar store dish drain trays as floor coverings because:
- they have a raised lip that can go around 2 sides of the level and keep urine, etc from dripping down the cage sides
- they have ridges so they aren't smooth & no slipping
- they are easy to use and don't damange your cage
- they are inexpensive and easy to replace

Back