what to put on a medical alert necklace/tag?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm starting on coumadin (warfarin) tomorrow and need to get a medical alert tag of some sort

Most of the ones I've seen give you 4 lines for stuff to be engraved on it, so I figure may as well use them but I'm not sure what else to put on there.

It needs to say Coumadin- a-fib

and I guess??? I should have my name put on it?

I'm allergic to amox and codiene as well as nearly a dozen other meds but none of these are serious allergies, mostly just adverse reactions that are not life threatening
so I don't know if I want to bother with those

but I am on celebrex and that can contribute to bleeding as well, so maybe that should be on the tag? and perhaps my blood type?

what do you think?

and if anyone here is on coumadin and has any tips, advice etc you'd like to share please do, either here or in a private message

I don't go for the half hour "lesson" on taking coumadin til Friday, which seems odd that they want me to start it before I find out how it works and what I need to do, but I'm starting at a low dose, so I guess I'll trust them

just this once :giggle:

I tend to check and double check anything a doctor wants to do, esp if it involves me ingesting something :nod:

I have a medical ID bracelet. I just have my name and "I.C.E. refer to card in wallet." My wallet card has everything they might need. Name, allergies, current medications, emergency contact info, doctor's contact info, etc. In your case I would include the blood thinners on your tag. I would highly recommend getting a bracelet over a necklace. An EMT is very likely to check your wrist for a tag but is unlikely to check for a necklace with info. (Please get yourself a wallet card as well: http://www.my-healthkey.com/WalletCard.pdf this one makes it simple, hover your mouse over the blue areas to see what to type in each box. Once finished just print it out.)

Regarding Warfarin, please make sure you are getting your medicine from the same source each time. By the same source I do no mean Walmart vs Safeway, but the same manufacturer. Some people will be fine with Warfarin from one source but Warfarin from another makes them feel ill. It's not a typical complication but when dealing with a medication of this kind and importance it's better safe then sorry. (My family has two of the genetic blood clotting disorders in it, I am no stranger to blood thinners.)

jorats said:
They are putting you on rat poison?

Coumadin is a blood thinner.

I think you can special order things that you can keep on you that will show all your meds that you are on. I had one for my daughter when she started having seizures. I had my number, her med and that she had epilepsy. You could order two. I think mainly you put what you are allergic to or your condition. Most paramedics will search for a medical card to see if there is any other condtions or meds. My mom has one in her wallet.

jorats said:
Petunia said:
jorats said:
hopefloats said:
jorats said:
They are putting you on rat poison?

Coumadin is a blood thinner.

I know. :giggle:

I didn't know it was rat poison :shock:
Warfarin is rat poison. But works as a blood thinner too. Beer works as a blood thinner too.

well not to split hairs but warfarin/coumadin is an anticoagulant, not a "blood thinner"

I was taken off the blood thinner, or more accurately, the anti platelet drug aspirin because they've found it does not protect one from an a fib caused stroke, only the true anti coagulants do that.

the things you learn when you've got a high risk for stroke :? :giggle:

that is horrible that they came up with using this stuff to kill rodents, just horrible.

*shudder*

hopefloats said:
my dad is on it, him and his dr always called it his "blood thinner" LOL

oh yes I'm sorry I know that's what it's usually referred to but I am just now learning that it doesn't really thin out your blood and wanted to share what I learned :lol:

It is a whole lot faster and easier to say "I'm on blood thinnners" instead of "I take an anti coagulant" so If anyone asks I'll probably say the same thing, I'm on blood thinners

:giggle:

jorats said:
It will save your life if you get a clot. :hugs:

I know, I know
I had a pulmonary embolism when I was 18 and that was so scary!

I just got some info from someone on the a fib board about taking Vit K-2, would you like me to copy that for you and send it in an email?

It seems like it could be important, it's about how a Vit K-2 deficiency can affect calcium in your body (keeping it from going to your bones while at the same time, it accumulates in other tissues where you don't want it and can therefore contribute to both osteoporosis and calcification of blood vessels)

I'm going to take this info to my cardiologist and see what he thinks about it.
It might help explain why they are finding that some of the newer drugs like Pradaxa are coming up as safer in the latest research, even though there's no easy way to reverse the anti coagulating effects of them.

Get yourself a medical alert bracelet. In emergencies the medical staff will automatically call for info. On the bracelet itself it will have your Member’s identification number, the condition, allergy or need and the phone number of the 24-Hour Emergency Hotline. Best thing ever!

Back