what to feed rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcoons4

I have two rats who are about 7 months old. i have been feeding them store bought mixes with seeds and grains. but i've read they are awful for them. i am in high school and i don't have time to prepare these elaborate diets for them. but i want them to have the nutrition they need. what should i buy for them?

Look here for info about lab blocks. Harlan Teklad 2014 and Oxbow are the best blocks on the market and easier and easier to get nowadays. HT is available online (Mainely Rat Rescue and a few other sources in the states) and Oxbow through many vets and pet supply stores. Try to get the "new" Oxbow if you can, rats tend to like it much more. Add some healthy scraps (veggies, fruits, whole grain products) and you are good to go!

thank you to both of you! i've heard good things about these lab block brands but i've never tried them. will the rats most likely eat the new oxbow blocks?

It seems like it, although I haven't tried it. All of my rats love HT though, regardless what they ate before I adopted them.

All of our rats have loved HT.

We get ours from Mainely Rat Rescue or the Craft Rat.

Back