What to expect from abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rodentboy101

My rat Luchik has what I think to be an abscess on the side/bottom of her face. I am fairly sure it's not a tumor, though there is that one tumor (Zymbal's gland? I think someone said) that I'm afraid it might be, though it's not behaving like a tumor at all. It grew in about two days, I think, and is now beginning to turn black at the top. She is in absolutely no pain to my knowledge, and though I'm anxious that she may be acting out of character, I'm not sure she is. She's eating and walking around and doing regular old Luchik things. She's the laziest rat, though, so if she's lethargic I can't tell.

I have a vet appointment on Saturday, but I'm so nervous about this. Even if it is just an abscess, the thought of looking at her with that darkened lump on her face genuinely makes me feel nauseous. I feel terrible, but my stomach is SO WEAK. And I've heard how an abscess can just pop so I've been avoiding my room in fear that I'm going to walk into a bloody mess on her face. And I know I have to clean it, but I swear, I'm going to force my parents to do some of it otherwise I might throw up on her...I feel so bad...I just can't stomach things like this.

So in the spirit of quelling my overwhelming anxiety, what can I really expect from an abscess? I've been googling for hours and rereading the same things over and over again, but there's just not that much out there. So...what can I expect? How do they pop? What do they look like when they do pop and what the heck should I do? I'm so afraid it'll pop before I see the vet...

Any advice will be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Can you post a pic of her head straight from the side so we can see the location to rule in/out ZGT? These are directly below the ear in standard ear rats and on a 45 degree angle in front of dumbo eared rats. If it's not in that location, you are looking at teeth abscesses, tumours, regular abscesses etc. So first let's see where exactly it is.

Zymbals is, as you probably know, fatal. You can comfort her for as long as she is not in distress, but eventually you should give her the most loving thing you can and let her go, release her from her suffering. At least that's my opinion from what I know about that devastating abscess. Zymbals are VERY aggressive abscesses and tumors and can grow from first noticeable sign to "final day" in just a couple of weeks. If it is black I would open it to let it drain, and irrigate it regularly, not allowing it to close. If it continues to progress , or a tumor develops, it could very well be a Zymbals, which you should not touch, just give her lots of love until "it's time". If it responds to antibiotics and flushing it reduces it's size, you could be in luck. Either way, facial abscesses and tumors are very serious and need a vets attention immediately! I hope she is a lucky one. Sending positive vibes and thoughts.

Last edited:
I know this isn't exactly what you ask for, and I will try to get a better picture later but I really didn't want to bug her all too much at the moment, but if this gives you an idea. From your description, I don't think it's a ZGT, but I could always be wrong. Maybe a tooth abscess?

Anyway, her vet appointment is tomorrow at 11:20 AM, so hopefully things will be smoothed out soon. Thank you for the replies!

Attachments

• 20190802_101543.png
    20190802_101543.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 169
Here's the better picture. It's starting to open up so I'm going to clean their cage and use puppy pads instead of bedding...I think that could reduce the risk of it getting infected further...right? So bedding doesn't get in there? And while all of this is happening I'm alone in the house with a puppy who's new to the world and trying to pee on everything. My life is a mess lol.

Attachments

• 20190802_133028.jpg
    20190802_133028.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 159
I will keep you guys updated...I really hope it's not fatal. It seems to have deflated a little already which I'm grateful for.

As already said, tooth infections are very serious. That said, at least you have a chance now. With a Zymbals you have no chance at all. So with that being said, I hope your vet can drain it and give her a big shot of antibiotics to start off treatment with a bang! My best to you and yours from me and mine.

I talked to the vet about a tooth infection and she said it was hard to tell unless they put her under and did an x-ray. She said she'd put her on some strong medication, so I got Baytril. I'm supposed to give it to Luchik twice a day. When she checked out the abscess, she said it was already draining so I just needed to rinse it with warm saltwater and leave it be. If she doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, I'm supposed to go back, and other than the abscess, Luchik is healthy, which I'm grateful for. She also said that there is the possibility that it could be a tumor with a dead center (I think?), but that at this point it's hard to tell, though tumors don't typically develop in that area. Also it's definitely not a ZGT (another thing I'm VERY grateful for.) I'm praying for the best. I will continue to medicate and keep you guys updated on Luchik's potential recovery.

Hi all, I have wonderful news! Luchik is back to normal. The abscess drained itself and is healing nicely, and I'm sure the baytril helped. The lump is gone and what's left is a small pinkish wound that's already got fur growing back on it. I'm very happy !!!

Back