what to do with recurring abscesses

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alisonmarsburg

K so my nakie girl def had a abscess. Like I mentioned before this is her third one. Im not sure if its been re absorbed ir if the puss is coming out cause last night there was still a lump but today irs gone down but it looks like it was bleeding as there is a scab. Im not sure if I should dtill take her to the vet or just to leave it now

I assume the lump went down? Is there a little hole now? You can probably stick your nose in and see if there is a faint smell of pus then you'll know for sure.

IF there's a small hole there, then you need to flush it with saline twice a day, this will clean it out, and encourage healing.

K so my nakie girl def had a abscess. Like I mentioned before this is her third one. Im not sure if its been re absorbed ir if the puss is coming out cause last night there was still a lump but today irs gone down but it looks like it was bleeding as there is a scab. Im not sure if I should dtill take her to the vet or just to leave it now

I owned a male rat who had a constant, reoccurring abscess on his throat. He lived his entire lifespan of three years with it. It would swell up, pop & bleed, scab over, and then appear as if it was gone but it would always come back.
Our Vet said the best thing to do is to just let it do what it wants to do and whenever it would start to look sickly/infected we would get him a prescription of antibiotics. It's also good to take your rat to the Vet if the abscess is bleeding as then the bloodstream is open to infection & antibiotics will help boost the immune system.
He should live a perfectly content life with it and be happy as can be.

Back