What to do with old rat cages? Dropped off first load!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Just sharing this tidbit of information. I found out that a lot of the cages we use for rats or get from surrenders with rats can be used in wild life rehabilitation. I have a few cages that I never want to sell because well I wont lie I am worried about promoting some people to have rats. So this is giving me a good opportunity to get rid of a few of the cages hanging out in the garage that I do not use anymore. Squirrels mainly would be ideal as ones to live in these cages. They love my purple super pet cage she said that would perfect for baby squirrels they are feeding and before they start moving around.

So if you have spare cages or are a rescue that gets in bedding or cages they can use them with raccoons and other wildlife. I gave the pine bedding for the totes they use to carry them in and to just put on the bottom of the enclosures. Things like baby bottles are needed as well.

So you now know what to do with the stuff we cannot use for our ratties friends.

Last edited:
Such a good idea and not something many people would think to do. My plan when I scale down the numbers is to give my Midwest cages to my rescue partner if she wants, and donate the rest to rescues or, now that you've suggested this, our neighborhood wildlife rehabbed. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's a good idea. I too won't sell my cages for fear of selling to the "wrong" person.

That is exactly why I wont sell mine. I have a bigger super pet cage in the garage I am giving her and a cage from another friend that I will be picking up and taking to her.

That's a wonderful idea! Whenever I sell some of my smaller cages that I end up with (the ones not suitable for rats), I always make sure to ask what small animal they are going to use it for and refuse to sell it if I feel the cage is too small for it. I don't make a good seller. LOL

I am scared to put them in a feeder breeders hands or someone who wont properly care for them. I have given cages to adopters and so on but i dont want to add on to that.

I am taking a cage this weekend to the wild life rescue. Maybe 2 or more that I can dig up. They need one for baby squirrels :)

Ah, I see.. I love seeing cheap/free cages.. I'm REALLY picky about furnishings/food/etc for my rats, so my girls are living in a single CN at the moment (and tbh, I'm not sure it's big enough for my two girls). I'm planning on upgrading to a double in the future - yes, I'll fully admit I spoil them ROTTEN.. But because CNs are so expensive, it's nice to see cheap, used (but still good) cages for accidents, emergencies (eg. one of our adopted babies turned out to be a boy and now his sister might be pregnant), quarantine purposes, etc. I admit, even for those, I'll still get picky. XD

Ah, I see.. I love seeing cheap/free cages.. I'm REALLY picky about furnishings/food/etc for my rats, so my girls are living in a single CN at the moment (and tbh, I'm not sure it's big enough for my two girls). I'm planning on upgrading to a double in the future - yes, I'll fully admit I spoil them ROTTEN.. But because CNs are so expensive, it's nice to see cheap, used (but still good) cages for accidents, emergencies (eg. one of our adopted babies turned out to be a boy and now his sister might be pregnant), quarantine purposes, etc. I admit, even for those, I'll still get picky. XD

If they were only together at the age of 4-5 weeks she probably isn't pregnant since they would be too young.

10362933_10152179836876409_953088691612531712_n.jpg

Dropped off the first load of cages to them today. One large older style martins cage which will be good for squirrels! a smaller rabbit cage, a cage I used when the handicap bubs were babies and one that came in with Gloria and Cashew.

I should of taken pictures of the racoons. They are all babies but some are getting to be actual coons that dont like humans. One girl named S'more would climb right up your leg to get you to hold her. I guess she was raised by humans more so it will take some time to make her more wild. I guess racoons are nicer as babies but grow into the wild side usually. Some of the babies are still bottle fed so we were able to do that with them :) I held a poor squirrel that has a broken front leg, seen 3 red squirrels, a ground hog, a duck, baby rabbits, and a little baby mouse she just picked up.
I could go help her all day long. I just love seeing those critters even if you cannot touch them at all. Poor guys are sick or need loving and will be set free again..

Glad my cages will get some use!

Back