What to do on pregnancy watch?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

My fiance thinks I'm crazy thinking my girl *could* have gotten pregnant from her incident last week.

My girl Hayla escaped her FN somehow last week, either she chewed the wire or my dad didn't cover that tiny spot when he rapped the cage. Anyhow, the boys are kept in the same room but their cage is also protected so they cant get out. We are pretty positive that Hayla climbed on the boy's cage because she did have a bite right on her vagina (for sure a bite) and now I'm scared that they might have done the baby dance through the cage some way. I know that Hayla was in heat that day because when I finally caught her, she had the purple tint going on down there.

I'm scared, really scared, my fiance doesn't think I should worry but I mean she was on their cage!

What should I be watching out for with her? I've only had one pregnant rat before but she was pregnant when I adopted her and she gave birth the day after I got her so I didn't really experience the pregnancy.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the way the... mating process works, it's pretty much impossible to do through cage bars. So if you're boys didn't get out as well, I don't think she'd be pregnant.

Maybe an e-spay is in order, just in case. And it will also prevent future mishaps.

Rats cannot mate through the bars of their cage. I wouldn't worry. Her being in heat just showed you how determined she was to get to the boys to be mated. :cheeky:

lucky escape LOL
Its a good thing that both of the cages were meshed. You should get your dad or your fiance to check the FN and find out where she escaped from. You only get so much luck :p

ryelle said:
lucky escape LOL
Its a good thing that both of the cages were meshed. You should get your dad or your fiance to check the FN and find out where she escaped from. You only get so much luck :p

We've found the spot and it's been fixed up since, we just needed to pull the mesh over the spot and use that twisty wire stuff to keep it pulled over.

hopefully *touch wood* i will never own a cage that i need to mesh LOL. I think we are pretty good over here in the UK with rat friendly cages

ryelle said:
hopefully *touch wood* i will never own a cage that i need to mesh LOL. I think we are pretty good over here in the UK with rat friendly cages

Lucky! It's such a pain in the butt to do, my dad did mine and he's so impatient it was such a hassle.

Back