What Should I Feed My Rats Daily? (Other than Oxbow)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravveth

17 and mother of two
So, I plan to feed my rats Oxbow, but I was wondering how much? I've been researching diets on the internet, but no place says the exact amount of Oxbow a rat should eat a day. Should I keep it in constant supply or should I give them a bowl a day?

I plan to give them lettuce and carrots every other day as a treat. Is this too much? What else can I give them as an addition to Oxbow? I've heard that they can eat nearly everything. What do you guys feed your rats as a diet?

Also, is it okay to feed rats peels from carrots and cucumbers or would this be unhealthy?

Thanks!

I always feed my rats free choice - that is to say, always have some food (Oxbow) in the bowl.
This will take care of their basic needs. Most people supplement their rats' food. My rule of thumb is NO JUNK FOOD. They never get candy or French fries or chips. There are a few things they are not supposed to have, but if you read over the list, it's not much. I think there is a specific thread on forbidden foods. Fresh fruit and veggies are great. My rats love whatever I'm having for supper. Spaghetti, lasagna, salad, stir fry with rice (not too spicy though!), scrambled eggs...
You also have to be careful about texture. Something like peanut butter, they love the taste, but it is so thick that it sticks in their throat and they choke on it. So a VERY thin layer to lick off your finger is OK, but no blobs of it. Same with mashed potatoes if it is very gooey. Melted cheese too.
Rats love a variety of food just like we do. You will see how excited they get when you bring a yummy treat to the cage door - it's very gratifying. My kids get something every night when it's bedtime. It makes them happy to be back in the cage.
And don't forget about pea fishing! I put some frozen peas and corn in a shallow dish and pour about an inch of water on top. I microwave for a minute or so, but make sure you stir and let it stand for 5 min before giving it to them so the heat evens out and it's not too hot. Then watch them figure it out and start fishing the peas out of the water with their paws. Very fun!

Oxbow will be their complete nutrition. But daily veggies are important as well. Keep it whole foods, nothing processed, low protein, low fat, no salt and no sugar for optimum health.

My guys love veggie based pasta, peas, beans, corn (fresh, rarely dried), carrots (raw and cooked), make oatmeal with mashed bananas once a week or less, new summer fave is frozen bananas, dried fruit (bananas, apples, apricots *chunked*, dates, cocont *chunks not shredded*)

Oxbow is always free fed and in the bowl at all times.
Once a week or so they get nuts (unsalted always, sometimes in shell for extra earning of the treat)
Sometimes I do shredded chicken, hard boiled eggs, a tiny bit of shredded cheese or yogurt. Also veggie chips (like potato chips but less salty and lower fat for me)

I feed my rats Oxbow, and I keep their dish filled up, however they always take all of the food and store it away...:laugh2: Along with Oxbow, I feed my rats fresh fruit (only if it is safe for rats of course!) and veggies. They will get other healthy treats throughout the week such as cheerios.

Oxbow will be their complete nutrition. But daily veggies are important as well. Keep it whole foods, nothing processed, low protein, low fat, no salt and no sugar for optimum health.

What Jorats said.

They should have a dish of good quality blocks available at all times.

Ideas for vegs are baby kale, broccoli, cooked sweet potato, raw or cooked carrot, field greens, cucumber pieces, frozen/thawed peas etc
Oganic corn only as GMO corn contains pesticides to kill pests ... they love cooked organic corn on the cob

I don't give peelings because they are more likely to contain pesticide residue unless organic

Forbidden foods list: http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

Last edited:
Back