What should I do??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

Recently I have become more involved in rat rescue and have become crazy interested in mouse welfare.

I have been thinking about maybe rescuing mice, however that wouldn't be now seeing as I am not financially or spacially able to however everyone in a while one meets some animal that should not be passed over, such as these mice in this pic: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23448931 ... 8808GncNnZ

This picture was taken by someone who attended the St. Jacob's Repile Expo in October of last year. I was also there and I saw these mice. At the time I had just gotten my two mice and wasn't really aware of what it means to have mice or to properly care for them, but anyone could clearly see that these mice are skinny and sickly. I kept going back to see these mice, I felt bad for them yet I thought they were cute (what with being naked and all) and did not want their cuteness to cause an impulsive purchase. However to this day I worry about these mice; if they made it, if they went to a good home, if I should have done something?

I was wondering if I do choose to attend the show again (which I probably will) should I buy these meece (possibly not the same ones) from their bad breeder (they are bred by Robinson's Ranch) or should I just walk away like I did before?

Thanks

It's a no-brainer. Please don't get them.
I was just at an Exotics and Reptile show here in NC (I am still traumatized) and as I expected it was an absolutely awful and frustrating experience. The only reason I went was because I volunteered to help out at the table that our rescue had set up. We wanted to let people know that there are rescues out there and that people don't have to buy from breeders. I didn't even walk around but our table was opposite to a lady who sold pretty much anything (including 3 tiny monkeys) and next to a guy who owned a mom and pop store. I saw a million things that were so wrong (we couldn't even say anything) and just by watching and talking to the guy I knew what was going on behind the scenes. Very, very sad.
From those 10000 people walking through, there were about 5 people who asked us a question (2 of them wanted to surrender their pets). We had pet care sheets on the table and only a few people took one. Whenever I saw somebody had just purchased a hamster, a rabbit, a mouse or whatever I would run after them and handing them a care sheet. Several times I had to turn to the wall because my eyes were filled with tears. I wasn't only mad at the breeders but at the uneducated people who would buy out of an impulse - people who want to have a pet right now without thinking. Of course it's a lot easier to buy from the show than going through the whole rescue adoption process. I kept wondering how many of these animals will end up at the shelter or our rescue in a few weeks or months, how many would be dumped, killed or just die of improper care. Of course we didn't bring any of our fosters because of the danger of them getting sick. But that's what attracts people. The more exotic, the better. It looks like people are trying to make pets out of any animals. There are too many animals that should have never become pets.
So please be strong (I know it's hard) but don't support those selfish people! Remember, these breeders breed because people buy - there is demand unfortunately. You know how that goes. You might "rescue" these two mice but you are rewarding the bad breeder.

Thanks wonderrodent! I won't be buying these babes I just wanted some one to back me up on my decision not to buy

*sigh* I just hate seeing animals like this, but I love going to the show...

Back