What should a healthy PEW look like?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

I'm always a little concerned about my Chimo because he had and abscess on his goolies and because I've never had a PEW before let alone boy rats. What are the signs of a healthy PEW? Chimo seems to be the more sensitive of the two and I had him on Baytril awhile back because of some sneezing and porphyrin staining on his nose. At the vet he weighed 414g at 6 months old and there weren't any noises.
The sneezing and the staining went away but sometimes it seems like Chimo is hiccuping, it doesn't last long and only usually happens when he get startled. His coat seems alittle rough too but could that be because he's a boy and I'm only used to females?
One more thing, my black berk Coal, squeaks when I go to pick him up, not yet touching him but he only does it when I go to pick him up or when he's doing something he's not suppose to and I go to move him still not yet touching. Weird, it's like he knows that if he squeaks at me, I'll leave him alone.
I just want to know what's normal for Chimo :)

From what you describe for both boys, sound very normal. Male rats do have a coarser coat than females. The hiccuping is not a concern either although, I've read in some places that it could mean the start of a myco flare up. I've never experienced this to be the case with my rats.
Squeaking from protest, very normal, you've got a talker. I've had a few of those, I love it when they squeak like that.

Sounds normal to me as well. Hiccupping I have never noticed mean anything, boys fur is always courser and even some females have a rougher coat, plus you are the lucky owner of a vocal boy. :lol:

Ok, now I'm worried again :cry: I was petting Chimo (my PEW) and I noticed some scabbing on his back :shock: It might be he's been scratching alot lately because we're away from home. I checked Coal all over but he's got nothing. Now what? :evil:

Is it possible the scabbing was from playing that maybe got a bit too rough. I know I have seen Lily with a scab on her ear from that.

There is one big one on his right shoulder and a smaller one where his left back foot would reach but his brother also tends to power groom him to the point where Chimo squeaks and pushes at him. Poor Chimo :cry:

Sounds like rough play between the two boys. Boys do have rougher coats and I have seen my boys hiccup when startled as well. Fergus "peeps" quite a bit about many things LOL. He has been this way since he was a baby and is now close to 15 months and still peeps over everything!!!! :)

Back