What kind of skin problem is this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlade

Hi,

Long time no talk! X3 I have a 2 years and a half old ratty here. She has hint end degeneration, therefore, unable to scratch herself ect.. Thing is... She had a mammory tumor so got operated and is on baytril right now. I thought that would help with healing the scab on top of her back but, the nasty thing is stubborn and another close to it has formed. She can't scratch herself that high, there's no way, she can barely scratch herself anywhere at all. I'm gonna make a vet appointment but, if she can't scratch and she has been on baytril for a month and it doesn't heal.. what could this be? I don't see anything in her fur either.

It could be pyoderma, if it is, I find that with Baytril, it takes several months. If you can get Clavamox, that might work better.

qzm63t.jpg

- There's another smaller one more on the side. I had to go to work, that's the only pic that isn't blurry that I got. But, the other one looks basically the same except smaller.

It's been there for 2-3 months now. It doesn't seem to be growing bigger nor going deeper. It just stays there and doesn't heal. It's just this week that the smaller one appeared.

DarkBlade said:
It's been there for 2-3 months now. It doesn't seem to be growing bigger nor going deeper. It just stays there and doesn't heal. It's just this week that the smaller one appeared. Sometimes the scab does go off and comes back but no, no getting deeper or bigger.

.... U_U sorry for the double post, though I clicked on edit.

It looks to me like she may be over grooming the spot and it's just not healing. I know you don't think she can reach but she may be able to to just reach that spot and is grooming it too much to compensate for not being able to groom else where. Try trimming her nails and see if that helps a bit, at least it may stop getting bigger.

If it's been 3 months and it's not getting any worse than I'd say that's better news. Have you tried giving her Benedryl in case it's an allergy?

umm found a third stop, closeby the other 2, its even smaller. But none of them get bigger or deep, they're just spots popping. But, no I havn't though of allergies. I can try that.

12.5mg/5ml

weight of my rat... eh, shoots... i dont have anything to weight her and i cant remember.. well, for the baytril, its 5mg/ml at 0.3 mls. Shes adult and not very big, I'd say she's average sized.

Back