What is this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathleenford

So, as some of you know due to a break up I adopted out most of my rat's. Well I was left with my main 9, all over the age of 1.5. I got a message from the woman that adopted Lucky and Mr this morning, telling me Lucky has been loosing weight and his front hands are bloody looking and he's missing his thumbs on both hands? She said nothing was wrong with Mr. I told her he needed to see a vet ASAP but she said she couldn't get them it until after Christmas, so I suggested paying for it. I'll be sending my money to her tomorrow through email (she's a few hours away from me). But until than, does anyone know what this is? I've never heard of it or seen it before.. She's had them for a bit over a month now, and he's been loosing weight for like a week now. She's been feeding him Oxbow, with his veggies each day. She's also been feeding him ensure.

Rats don't have thumbs, just four "fingers" on their front hands. It definitely sounds like he needs to be checked over at the feeds though.

It's hard to tell but it might be something like a brain tumour :( , he'd be struggling to eat as much as he'd have weak front paws, and the "blood" might be porphyrin he's rubbed onto his paws when cleaning himself.

That is the first thing I thought of too was they do not have thumbs and porphyrin. Weight loss can be anything from illness to normal weight loss from getting more exercise/out time to a different diet. I am overly caution of people by nature, probably cause I work at a police station, but are you sure something is wrong with him? Can she send you pictures so you can see the weight loss yourself before you send her any money?

He is likely very ill ... likely respir or pt.
I would also check his teeth.
He needs to see a good rat vet and likely needs meds
As others said, probably porphyrin.

Personally, I wold make a home visit immediately to see both boys and get them both to a good vet for a check up immediately.

The hands could also be a degloving. It is more common in tails, but can happen on hangs/arms too. He needs a vet ASAP. He may not be eating because of the pain holding food.

i didn't mean a thumb thumb, just the closer finger to the inside. he's been separated from Mr because they got into a bad fight, so Lucky and Mr got neutered. i can't make a trip to her house because i don't own a vehicle, and it's over 2 hours away from me. i asked her for some pictures, i should be getting them tomorrow morning hopefully. she said he's climbing around the cage fine, running on the wheel, he'll eat his veggies and he's even been nipping at her, but he will not eat his oxbow. she says his eyes are squinty, but not crusty or anything. i'll post the pictures as soon as i get them, this is killing me. i hand raised him, so i'm hurt, big time if it was something she could've prevented.

kathleenford said:
still haven't heard anything from her.. i'm freaking out..

I am not nearly as trusting of people as you are. I would have had her make the appointment and then called the vet office and paid them directly. I really hope she did take him in to the vet as stated.

i did talk to the vets, but i've known her for years, she was a very close friend of mine so i thought i could trust her. i've called her, texted, email, inboxed on facebook and everything and she hasn't replied..

Back