What is this???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglycupcake

Normally, when there is something funny going on with my rats, I can just search it here and find an answer, or google it.
But I can't find anything that sounds right. Maybe I just can't find the right term.

Over the past couple months, I have seen 4 of my rats (at different times) with their bodies throbbing. I've seen it happen while they are both active, and running around, and when they're not feeling so good (myco flare up). The closest thing I can think of to describe it is the way a human's body moves when hiccuping. Or the contraction and release of a beating heart?

Has anyone else seen this? I can't find any information about it. Also, it doesn't happen too often and goes away in about 20 minutes. I thought I'd get some opinions before I called the vet, so hopefully I can better describe/explain it to him. I haven't been able to describe it properly (probably why my searches are turning up blank). :oops:

Yes! Jerking rhythmically. They're usually laying down, or going somewhere. And it always stops within 20 minutes. It's silent. I typically find them even grooming themselves or eating while it happens, if that helps?

Thank you so much for your response though, I feel a lot better about it! I was seriously thinking along the lines of something much more serious.

Rats look like they are hiccuping.
- Some say they hiccup,
- Others say rats do not hiccup and that it is a symptom of myco and could indicate a myco flareup.

What I do know is that if I have a rat doing this fairly frequently, and I treat with baytril for 4 to 6 weeks,
then this symptom/behaviour stops and does not return.
Therefore, I do treat rats with baytril if they display this behaviour frequently.

thats' interesting about the hiccups and myco

Without exception I have seen ALL of my rats hiccup, and quite often too.
I always thought they did it partly because they were happy, as it seems to occur often when they wake up
or when they are playing and having a good time or when they know they are getting a treat, or just got a treat LOL

If I had treated them for hiccups each and every time, I'd have all my rats on meds all the time

that's just my experience

I haven't noticed if they hiccup more when sick because it's been a long time since I've had any sick rats of my own

I do have a sick rat now that I'm sitting and I haven't seen him hiccup (yet)

Of the four that I just took care of for a few days, two of which were on meds for chronic myco, about half of them hiccuped- the two that weren't on med
although I think Picasso may have hiccuped once, it's hard to say because I had his brother and they both look a lot alike

I have always leaned towards thinking this is rat coughing, as I pretty much usually only see it in my boys who are already having resp issues. But I've also seen it in seemingly healthy rats, so idk. It's too bad they can't just tell us "don't worry mom, we've only got the hiccups".

Back