What Is The Ideal Protein Percentage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeHale

I know that there are some issues with high protein foods, and low protein foods.
So what is the ideal protein percentage in a lab block?

It will depend partly on the rat. I tried a 14% protein block at one time, and HATED what it did to my rats. They all became very thin and had horrible skin and coat condition. Other people have had great success using 14% but after what I saw in my own personal rats, I refuse to try it again. They are currently on an 18% protein block (bought from Pet Food Direct), and I have no intention to change. My rats maintain healthy weight, and have clean, healthy skin and coats.

According to research, less then 14%.
But you want to use a good quality block like Harlan Tech, Oxbow or the 16% Hagen/Living World extrusian block.
(Of course the block is only 80% of the diet with the other 20% being daily vegs and occasional healthy treats.)

Please see: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4502

Edit: some supplement babies and nursing/expectant moms with daily or twice daily baby cereal mixed with soy infant formula.
However this is terminated by 3 months of age at the latest. Elderly ratties and ill ratties are also often supplemented with baby cereal mixed with soy infant formula as well.

Babies go from 24% protein with mom's milk to needing only 10% protein when weaned if protein comes from a good source.
So all my rats, starting at 5 weeks go on a 14% block and supplemented each day with daily veggies which lowers their protein % per day.
Mine have done excellent with that.
I see no problems feeding 16% and even 18% if supplemented with foods that can bring down the daily count. Anything more than 18%...I believe becomes harmful to the kidneys and liver.

I used to feed Martins Mouse & Rat Ratio until I joined the forum and seen that high protien is bad. So now I feed living world extrusions - 16% with lot's of veggies each day.

jorats said:
Babies go from 24% protein with mom's milk to needing only 10% protein when weaned if protein comes from a good source.
So all my rats, starting at 5 weeks go on a 14% block and supplemented each day with daily veggies which lowers their protein % per day.
Mine have done excellent with that.
I see no problems feeding 16% and even 18% if supplemented with foods that can bring down the daily count. Anything more than 18%...I believe becomes harmful to the kidneys and liver.

That would mean the dog food we use is fine then by the side of the bag?

If your dog food is mainly all grains, then yes, it will be fine. Also, the fat content shouldn't be more than 5%.

I highly doubt though that any dog food is mainly grains. In fact most high quality dog food are grain free.
Rat's energy source must come from carbs and not protein and fat like it is for dogs which is why I don't recommend a dog food. Dog food companies know that dogs need their energy source from protein and fat therefore it's got more meat products and meat by products and less grains. Not good for rats.

I give the babies (4 weeks to 3 months) approx 16% daily protien. (18% block, lots of veggies, small amount of grain mix)
Then adults I would idealy like to give approx 10% daily protien. (12-14% block, lots of veggies) Right now due to availability they get the 18% protien block, homemade grain mix and lots of veggies.

Does senior (say 1.5years plus) need to go down a little, up a bit or stay the same? With regards to protien levels.

jorats said:
In fact most high quality dog food are grain free.
"High quality" being the key words there. Unfortunately the majority of commercially available dog (and cat) foods are mostly corn and/or rice...tons of grain-based carbs which are totally useless to carnivores like dogs and cats. (I feed Orijen, which is grain-free, 70% protein and 30% vegetables/plant matter and I LOVE it...not like that lol, but I totally recommend it to anybody who has dogs and/or cats :thumbup: ) That being said, I still wouldn't feed low quality dog food to any animal, since most of them get their meat from dead, dying and/or diseased cows from factory farms in China...or even worse: from "Animal By-products" which often means euthanized shelter animals...nasty, nasty stuff goes into a lot of commercial pet foods. I don't even like touching it, so I definitely wouldn't feed it to any of my animals. I don't know what it's like in the UK Rachael, but I wouldn't advise anybody to feed cheap North American dog food. Blah...

As for the topic at hand, the food I feed is 16% protein and it's worked great for me thusfar. I also supplement with fresh greens either daily or every other day, fruit or carrots and a small piece of bread dipped in olive oil once a week.

What Bamboo said was my point. A high quality dog food is great for dogs but not rats as you can see. A low quality dog food doesn't have good quality grains.
White rice is the worst thing ever made along with sugar and white flour.
Anyone who feeds a block can bring down their protein levels by adding more veggies to a rat's diet.

Back