What is the best food to give baby rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

I'm getting my new babies soon and I was wondering if there is any special foods I could give them to help them with their development. Like all animals, the early stages of life are the most important and I want to make sure they are in the best health possible. I already feed my girls Harlan Teklad 2014, plus veggies, fruit and grains but is their anything else I could give the babies?

If they are young, baby cereal mixed up with water, or soy milk, or soy baby formula. They are young so growing fast and can use extra protein. Also a bit of the occasional boiled or scrambled egg.

Oatmeal mixed with soy milk is a treat they may enjoy.

I really like the soy milk and oatmeal/baby food idea.

I'm partial vegan so I don't eat eggs, so thats out, but I'll deffiantly be giving them soy milk...I didn't even think of that :roll:

I've always given my babies large flake oatmeal (dry) and Cheerios along with
the baby cereal already mentioned, yogurt and the usual fruits and veggies.
Unless they are really young you can go ahead and give them the block too -
just give them the small pieces. I love babies!!
:love7: :heart:
I've been enjoying the 3 I have right now more than I can say!

the 2014 doesn't have enough protein? hmm

So would the soy milk or baby food or oatmeal be a good supplement?

jorats said:
Actually, I don't agree that the 2014 doesn't contain enough protein. My babies have done quite well on it.

Mine are doing fine but I supplemented them with a bit more protein on top of it.

I personally think just to be safe to add a bit more protein to young babies diets during their extreme growth spurts :)

With young rats, we made sure lab blocks were always available, gave them vegs like peas twice a day and also baby cereal a couple of times a day until about 6 (or 8) weeks or so ... then vegs once a day and baby cereal once a day in addition to lab blocks always available in food dish. Supplimented with baby cereal until 3 or 4 months old. Also gave fruit daily. Oatmeal is more like a treat ...

So what kind of baby food would you recommend? I don't like Nestle or other popular brand names because there is just way too much sugar in it and it seems too artificial.

Nesle mixed cereals with fruit baby cereal is what we used but if you check the boxes in your grocery store ... perhaps the organic section, you might find one with less sugar, etc.

Back