What is a good size cage for 4 male rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tart

I would like someone to do the math for me and just give the length x width x height in inches. I understand it needs to be 2cubic feet per rat etc etc. Can someone just make it easy for me ? Please? :bow:

For 4 rats, minimum I would have something like 18 x 30 x 33 inches high. Ideally, I would have 36 x 24 as a base and I'm referring to a critter nation. I love those cages. A single one would be just fine.

Thank you Jorats! :thumbsup:
I would like to get your opinion though on what I have :
25'' x 16''x 45'' high.
I took 2 cages and attached them. I try to let them out to play often or carry them around or just let them climb around outside the cage. I also change the toys frequently and clean the cage approx every 2nd day. Do you think the size of the cage without these other things is good ? Or only combined. Should I get another cage and attach it to the top? I understand they should be out at least an hour each day, but on the off day we are at the beach or whatever is the size of the cage keeping them happy do you think?
I'd like to attach pictures but I don't know how. I did before, but for some reason I just don't see the option anymore...

25 x 16 as a base is much too small. I wouldn't keep more than 2 rats in that. The height is good but not enough to compensate the small base.
You could put pics in your gallery album here and then link it.

The Rat Resorts are really too small to be permanent homes for rats, especially a pair of males. With four males in two stacked on top of each other, you'll likely run into serious issues with fighting as they age.

Oh my goodness I couldn't imagine them fighting! They love eachother so much and are so gentle! It makes me sad to think that way but am definitely taking it into consideration. They are all still under a year so I think if I act fast I can switch it before any are too big. Thank you! Any and all information is very helpful
!

So ive been seArching And found a 3rd cage i could add to the bottom which is the 2x2 ft . Do u think that would be ok? I can get it tommorrow for only ten dollars. I dont like the critter nation because theres no litter pan at the bottom and my cage is in the livingroom. If there is smthg like the critternation with the deep pan on the bottom tho plz tell me .

You can buy or make pans for Critter Nations. Most people use fleece on the levels and pelleted paper in the litter box but some people do have pans. Check out the CN pictures thread in the Habitat section to get an idea.

The cage you're thinking of (purple base, green tunnels) is big enough but it doesn't use space very well, it's a good idea to add some levels yourself. More so, it's unsteady so if you have other animals, the top can easily be knocked off the base and the rats would be at risk. If there are no cats and dogs in the home, that woulnd't be an issue.The plastic shelves on those cages also smell awful when they come into contact with rat pee so you'll have to clean them often.

The cage is big enough, it's just not my favourite.

You can buy the deep base pans for the Critter Nations. I think you can get them at Flower Town Chinchillas (Canadian online store), but I'm sure someone else would know where to get them :stickpoke:

OOOH! Really! Ok that's awesome to know because my sisters have the critter nation cages and the only complaint was there's no pan! I will tell them and I will be most likely using the 3 until I can afford to get the critternation :joy:

Thank you Unepuce! My goodness your signature "Mommy and daddy miss you all so much..." Almost made me burst out crying :( Everyone has lost, I haven't yet, and I'm dreading the day. My condolences to everyone.

I guess my question now is: Is the height not as important as the 36 x 24 as a base? Because from what i understood is that they need to be able to climb and so that's why originally I decided the two cages together were going to be good. What did you mean when you mentioned, "The height is good but not enough to compensate the small base." Do you think if I made it higher I could compensate for the small base? If so, how much higher?

No amount of height will compensate for that small a base. Maybe you've seen pictures of homes in HK recently published where entire families live in rooms smaller than most of our kitchens and everything is staked vertically - their storage, sleeping area, etc. Compare living in a small space like that to a bigger (but still small) studio apartment - which would you feel more comfortable in?

Even a single CN does provide opportunities to climb, especially if you put a hammock or two in the space beside the shelf. If you can afford it, it's the best cage for your rats. I'll also mention that the single CN is available on amazon.ca now (free shipping) for ~$140, which is cheaper than anywhere else.

Back