what does this look like to you? Toby, Hormones?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
too bad we can't nom videos for RPOM, cause i think this is cute.

I think he's trying to pull apart the towel so he can take it in the box... My rats do that with their fleece. But i dunno for sure.

So do you think it means he is going to be a huge meanie to other boys? or is this pretty normal? I just want to make sure he is happy, and if his little manhood is making him angry then I want them removed LOL I have 4 boys other than them, and none of them have done it. Loki stomps his feet and hisses at the dog, but i have never seen him do anything like this before.

He is a huge cutie. I just love watching him, there is something about him that just seems so i cannot even explain it, It seems like he should be called Mr. Toby if that makes sense. He is so different from my other boys. He is slowly moving into my be my next heart rat. I am totally taken by his little peach fuzzed self.

That could mean that he's going to be a bully... a little tough to intro but for now, since he hasn't meant them yet, I wouldn't think about him being a meanie. But I would start saving up for a neuter... just in case.

Yes, I am no where close to intros I would kinda like to be able to hold him before then LOL. I just know my other boys and the babies, I would like to see them all together.I am just trying to decide what is the best course for Toby to be a happy rat. You can tell he loves his head rubbed, but he has his limits. I seen that and was trying to decide if that is the reason behind his biting nature or if it is because he has been not treated well. It would almost explain why he is the way he is.That coupled with the not being handled correctly or cared for. He has bit me twice, not a hard bite but a hard grab. both times I stuck my finger out like a fool LOL so I cannot blame him for me doing it. Nothing like I thought he would be though. He is really coming around better than I thought he would. I expected to have stitches by now. I am trying to think ahead and plan my course of action with him. I know it takes time after a neuter for the hormones to come down so I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and do it or not. I already have the money ready so I might as well just do it. I am just worried about stressing him out with an hour car ride, getting fixed, the vet smell, and so on. I dont want it to set us back or make him worse.

The other thing is, with the rats with hair, it is easy to tell when something annoys them, you can clearly see their hair puffed up. With toby I am trying to learn what he does. I have never seen the digging. Our boy loki, stomps the ground and hisses at the dog. But he has been fine with the babies. I am just trying to find the clues as to what he does when he is angry.

With a hairless, look for the back end coming forward a bit or going up a bit.
And with any rat, any side rubbing and what looks like digging. It's actually rubbing.
If you have the money now, I'd get him done asap.

I would get him done now, it may also help with the biting. I see hormones at play here with the rubbing and the fast scratch on his side...he may also turn around and groom his hip where the scent gland it. The biting of the towel is a bit of an escalate from normal marking behaviour and as Jo said, that is rubbing not digging.

That is kinda what I thought. I will call today about getting an appointment to get him neutered :) Hopefully he will be a new man after that and We can finish his trust training.

For some reason I am unable to load the video properly, but I am really curious about this behaviour you are talking about. Is there any way you can put it on your post, or put it on youtube or something?

Usually i do use youtube, but for some reason it is blocked here and I cannot use it at all,

the direct link is http://www.hopefloatsrats.shutterfly.com

I am not sure of any other way to post it other than my shutter fly account

I cannot tell if it worked but here is my youtube channel.

My phone said it is completed on the upload, but I cannot go to the site to see if it is there LOL

let me fix that lol
http://www.youtube.com/thehopefloats75

Sir Toby will be neutered on Thursday. So excited and worried. I never dealt with a male during recovery, especially a grumpy one. I plan on taking him him over in a box bed i have so he can be removed easily from the box, then his recovery/travel cage will go with us, I dont want the vet to get bit reaching into his cage lol so she can put him in the little cage after the surgery when we wont have to move him for a while. I am praying this takes the rest of the bite out of him, and I am left with a little love bug lol, and I officially added "Sir" Toby to his name, i kept feeling like his name was missing something, when I slipped and called him sir Toby, i knew that was it LOL

That makes me excited! I cannot wait I am so excited now. You can tell how sweet he is or wants to be. He loves his head rubbed already, he will fall asleep when you scratch his head . He comes running up with so much excitement when I call him now, but there is that lil bit of attitude that shines every now and again. I hope this is the final chapter for him and his problems. I am really ready to see him go forward with a normal spoiled rattie life.

Thanks for all the info and helping me learn the differences!

Back