What do you mix your meds in?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

I have a vial of injectible Baytril and I like to mix about a weeks worth of Baytril at a time when I mix it with something like food to give to the rats. However, the bottle that I was using to mix my Baytril in has seen better days. It was an old bottle a vet had given me once. So what do you all use to mix your meds in?

Staci

I can only, for some reason, get my vet to give me the inject able as well. It says to mix 1ml Baytril into 250mls water or tang but doesn't say how much they need per day. I'll have to ask about that... hmmm... anyhow, here's what I do, and it's a huge, HUGE hit with the ratties:
(I use the narrow syringe, no needle, with a Baytril bottle fitted with a blue cap that the syringe fits into so I can tip it over to measure the meds)

.1ml (point one milliliter) Baytril
5.5 teaspoons water
a sprinkle of UNSWEETENED kool-aid
swirl in the water bottle and serve

I found that Tang and sweetened kool-aid clogged the water bottle and caused it to leak out into the cage. Juice doesn't work either because it goes bad if it sits out too long. The instructions they give you (250ml of water) makes it impossible to change the water daily.

a film canister works pretty well and I mix the Baytril with peanut butter and jelly or with strawberry quick.

Give me minute to find it and I will tell you how much quick to mix. Be right back.

Oh see I have always been under the impression that you should never mix your meds into a water bottle as you then do not know for sure which rat is getting the meds nor that they got all of the recommended dosing. Also depending on what concentration your Baytril is 1ml in 240 ml of water does not sound like nearly a strong enough dose.

My Baytril is 5% and typical dosing is .03 or .05 cc 2 times a day. I will tyipcally mix up 1 full cc at a time with equal parts of chocolat syrup. Then just double my dose to .06 or .1 cc per rat depending on the rats weight and such.

Staci

You're right Staci, it isn't a good idea to mix and administer baytril or any antibiotic through a water bottle. You don't know if one of the rats is getting more or if any of them are drinking the amount they "should" be drinking.

I administer my meds via a small amount of baby cereal with some maple syrup mixed in. Works well. There are a few I can scruff but some freak when I do that.

One container I've found to be really useful, my vet flavors certain meds and they have started giving me the bottles they flavor it in. Has a dimple in the middle of the lid to insert the syringe and get the meds out without getting the meds all over the outside of the syringe.

For 10% Baytril the dose is .1 ml per pound so you would mix 1.4 ml with 4.2 ml of Strawberry quick for a dose of .4 ml two times a day(one week supply). Make sense? I hope that was what you were looking for. or you can reduce the amount of quick for a .3 or .2 dose but my girls refused to eat it. Or you can add a little salt to counter the bitterness. Believe me it is bitter, I tired it. :wink:

hmmm... Like I said somewhere else, my vets aren't the best... anyway can someone PM me and let me know what I should ask for next time so that I can give it orally in one dose, etc.?

The amount of baytril each rat needs depends upon the weight of the rat. Baytril is usually given twice a day.
You need to know how much baytril your rat needs in mg and the weight of your rat so as to figure out the exact dosage, but most vets will tell you exactly what to give your rat. Rats need to receive a specific dosage of baytril twice a day and only the ill rats are treated, not everyone in the cage.

Putting meds in a water bottle means that your rats are being over or under medicated.
It may also cause them to stop drinking if they decide they dislike the taste.

According to the Rat Health Care book, baytril should not be mixed up ahead of time.

SQ said:
According to the Rat Health Care book, baytril should not be mixed up ahead of time.

I must have missed that part in my book thanks for pointing that out. Does it say why it can't be mixed ahead of time? Do you have the book from Debbie Ducommon?

Hm that is weird that you aren't suppose to mix it ahead of time. Before I started to buy my Baytril in bulk to keep on hand my vet would give me a bottle of Baytril already compounded with yummy flavoring and would just tell me to keep it in the fridge. He would typically give me about enough for 4 weeks of dosing just in case a dose got spit out or spilled.

Plus I can't imagine trying to work with such a small amount of baytril like .03ml and mixing that with something and such. Much easier to work with 1 full CC at a time. I just make sure it is refidgerated after I mix. I don't seem to have any ill effects and my rats seem to heal up fine.

I just need to figure out what to mix it in as I am out of containers that the vet has given me before.

Staci

I get the oral baytril. I'm very surprised that most vets don't do this. It's even available in multiple flavours like peanut butter and vanilla, my guys prefer the strawberry.

I have only had one experience with Baytril and it was the oral kind. My vet measured out 2 weeks of doses in syringes. Twice a day I squirted the baytril onto a teaspoon with yogurt and Gobo happily ate it.

Here it's quite expensive to get Baytril compounded in a tasty liquid, so I just buy the injectable stuff and mix it with Nesquick etc.

I wish I knew whether it was OK to mix ahead (don't see why not, as long as it's kept out of the light). It would be great to be able to go away overnight and let my husband give the meds that I prepare.

:idea: :idea: Hey, one of us should ask a pharmacist! They know all that kind of stuff, or they'd know how to find out.

Back