What do I need to do?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattieGurl

So as you might know I recently adopted Isabella the hairless rat. Shes a female. and I was told she was possibly prego.
Ok I'm not sure what to do in the situation, because I am not able to handle her at all, I cant pick her up. I can barely pet her on a rare occasion. I'm actually scared to clean her cage, and stick my hand in her cage to feed her and such, because she bites, and have gotten bitten from her already before.

I was told after the fact from the previous owner, that she didn't not raise the rat properly with the TLC needed to socialize her so she would be used to humane interaction. Few days ago I also noticed some brown or red kind in-between color crustiness around her one of her eyes. I thought right away shes sick. Then I look it up online. Its a sign of sickness, or stress. and OMG! she has been under some stress ill tell yea. She start to breath so hard just because you walk up to the cage.

I have decided this is not working out like I had hoped for. The person who gave me Isabella has some new born hairless babies, that will be ready for me on the 15th of next month. she said she will give me them for free. But I have to find Isabella a new home. I prefer that, because I don't think she was in a good place.

I am thinking of anywhere i could take her that would be experienced enough to fix and help her become more socialized and stuff. I know that I'm not that person.
I just want a rattie or two to love and love me back. Doesn't mean i don't care about Isabella, i still care about her, and want her to be in a safe, good place. I don't think my house is the best place for her. she needs serious socialization training. and I just don't know how to do that.

If you live near Spokane, Wa and are wanting to take her, let me know my number is 509-218-4524 or if you know of a shelter I can take her to, ill can do that too.
Otherwise I was going to that her to an animal shelter, and I was concerned they would just put her to sleep.

It is kinda sad that she can end up in a shelter because they could very well put her to sleep. She needs a real home that will care for her regardless of her not being perfect. Search out a rescue or try to find a forever home for her, carefully. Understand that all rats maynot be perfect and will require some work to make them that way. Most of the attitude can be from her being pregnant and may not last near the end.

I found a great place for her! she is in a great place.

This is where she went:
http://www.animalnaturersq.org/about-us.html

This lady came and picked her up. She was able to handle her and take her out of the cage, where I could do any of that, In fact I was afraid to even stick my hand in the cage at times fear of being bitten. She told me she will work with Isabella. through any emotional issues to tackle aggression and fear. and she will get a nice big pregnancy suite, because I guess she did in fact look prego.

After she has her babies, and she works through her aggression and fear problems, she will be ready for adoption and find a home, that's what I was told. I'm so happy for her. Thats what she needs. I know I was not the best person to care for her, she would have just lived in fear forever, because I don't know how to address the problem. Nor do I think I'm really patient enough either.

I feel bad for putting Isabella through so much stress. But I did what I feel was the best choice.

I hope i find some little babies I can bring in, I'm hoping for 2 baby male hairless rats. if not male, then female is fine, but must be the same sex, or one, or both neutered.

You could wait and see if Isabella has babies and then adopt two of her babies :) I'm so glad you found her somewhere that she can learn to trust and be loved!

I'm really happy that Isabella will get some help.
It's also really good that you will adopt two rats. I would probably go for male if I was a first time rat mom.

Back