What do I do next?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlade

So I've been trying to introduce Ruby to my other males for about 2 weeks now. He's a young male of about 5 months old. Hymalayan dumbo, so cute. *coughs* but enyways! He's such a gentle soul when it comes to humans. Such a wonderful, easygoing rat. Always happy nd trusting us completly. But, with other rats, he just can't stand them.

At first, he flipped them all over. He got bitten by I don't know which, happened to fast. Well, he deserved it, such a bully he was! Then, I waited for him to heal, he was on antibiotics so it went smoothly. Then, I tried the bath trick. All did was his anti-social guy. He never approached the others but he didin't seem to mind water at all. He was actually the one playing in it the most. Afterward, he refused to let the others groom him, he kept running away and hiding his face in my clothes or arm.

Then I tried to switch cages, never really worked either. He never got used to their scent, never liked it. Itried meeting them on neutral grounds, Ruby just ran away and jumped on me to hide everytime.

Also, I tried putting apple juice on their back so they would groom each other and be like ohhh you smell good, *lick lick*. Naw still didin't work out.

Now, I'm just showing Ruby to them while having a cage to seperate them and Ruby just screams like he's gonna die and goes hide again. I don't know what to do anymore. X___X He just screams now when he sees them.

Should I declare him a loner rat or wait for his neuter in 3 weeks? Or try something else?

I would give it more time. Watermelon still screams and mine were introduced in July. :D

Is Watermelon in the same cage with them? I'm so afraid that Ruby will just go crazy and start a serious fight. I don't take the chance. XD Although, the 3 other males don't seem to mind Ruby. They actually try to approach him and groom him.

I've just successfully introed an 8 monther with adults (over 1 year) and one 5/6 monther.

I found the same thing that you are experiencing happened. The youngest 5-6ish month one shrieked non-stop and ran for cover. Didn't even give the new guy a chance to get near him. Only difference is that my new guy was neutered before intros began, and even then it took exactly 2 months.

I found that instead of trying new tactics constantly, just stick to one tactic and do it over and over and over until they get used to it and barely notice it any more. I had my two cages next to each other constantly. I did at least one half hour bath intro a day (sometimes 2 or 3 a day >.<) and no matter how much the little one screamed, I'd distract him with food and keep him in there. Eventually, everyone was just BORED... and at that point, they'll all be much calmer.

I would definitely say wait till his neuter before declaring "loner status". And even AFTER the neuter, keep trying! It's tiring and frustrating sometimes, but definitely worth it! ^_^

Back