What are YOUR ratties favorite treats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryelle said:
I heard that only bones from red meat could be given to rats - is it ok to give chicken bones? I know they are more brittle than red meat ones, and thats why u arent supposed to give cats meat on chicken bones

Thats a really good question, I know my dogs can't have chicken bones because they will splinter in their stomachs, but I'm not sure the same is true of rats.... hmmm google it is.

Raw chicken bones are safe for dogs and cats, cooked chicken bones are not! Rats can eat cooked bones with no problems. They gnaw carefully and usually do not actually eat the bone but rather chew through to the marrow inside.

My son and I usually have smoothies made of banana, berries and soymilk in the morning. Needless to say, licking the ceramic glass clean is the ultimate treat for my fuzzbutts...

dl
:lol:

NezumiNeko said:
Bananas and peas. I occasionally give them yogurt, which to the ratties, is next to a god.
What type of yogurt do you give them? I am having trouble finding 'plain'...is fruity stuff ok or too sugary?

I've given my girls flavoured yogurt, but only for occasions like intros where they need a really special treat. Interesting note, they do not like raspberry yogurt but love raspberries....

I think an important thing to look for would be a NATURALLY sweetened yogurt with just fruit or a honey sweetener (I know Astro does one where they sweeten with honey)... I'd stay very far away from anything with aspartame in it. If it makes me sick, I'm sure it can make them sick. Sugar alcohols are a bad bad thing.

I have recently switched to Kefir though. It's hard to find but the kefir bacteria makes the lactose more digestible, even for people with lactose intolerance. And apparently rats are lactose intolerant.

lilspaz68 said:
Very very occasional (like once a year)...chicken legs...hold on tight, and let the screeching and shoving and pushing begin.

Old pic of the Horde to give you an idea
RampagingandravagingHorde.jpg

My Girls think that's a very good idea...lol

Chicken bones are a new favorite, but my girls LOVE fat-free yogurt. As in, if I didn't spoon out small amounts, they'd eat the entire container. Only thing is, they only eat peach and strawberry/strawberry banana flavors.

So far:

Blackberries, blueberries, bananas, cheerios and I just discovered today: baby cereal mixed with soy milk. Holy bruxing batman!!

rejected: parsley, peanuts, dried cranberries, apples and tofu.

Well, you did say "treats"...so for me, that doesn't include the usual dinner items like pasta, sweet potatoes, avocado, veggies, fruit etc.

When it comes to treats....hands down, it's the honey sweetened animal crackers you get in the bulk food section at the store. They LOVE them!

Cooked butternut squash, nori strips (sushi seaweed), an organic cereal called "Bumpers". Very rarely, fresh cheese curd. They lose it for cheese curd. Unsalted sunflower seeds. Nuts in the shell, good for the teeth.

Chaz is cooking squash for them right now...they are sniffing and getting excited....they know its coming.

Watermelon! Cantaloupe! Grapes! Oh! Blueberries....they're crazy about them.

No matter what it is though, I always have one rat that doesn't care for it....except for peas. Peas never get turned down...yet.

Back