What are your hobbies other than rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I know that many Shackers are talented artists and crafters. What other hobbies and interests are lurking among us?

I don't have much in the way of talent, except maybe my work, but I love knitting, reading, cooking, and lots of outdoor activities like hiking and cycling. Last year I hiked down into the Grand Canyon and learned how to RaceWalk. Someday, when I retire, I will take up gardening and go back to learning to play an instrument and cross-stitching. And travel as much as I can afford!

Anyone else?

Wow you have a lot of interests!! :nod:

I love gardening but can't do it any more for a lot of reasons (main one being I live in an apt and there's no yard space for it :giggle: )
I used to grow tons of flowering and non flowering houseplants too, but gave those up when I got cats :lol:
my current place is too dark for most plants anyway

Kept tropical fish for awhile, that was fun.

what sorts of books do you read? I like non fiction science and related topics. My latest obsession is anything to do with the latest findings about the brain

right now I'm working on making blankets for cats, for my grand neice and then I'll be doing some for Project Linus, both sewn and, when they bring me some yarn, crocheted too (they get donations of materials for the ppl who have the time to craft the blankets)
really looking forward to that!

I was taking horse back riding lessons (for two years) but took a break this summer, and have not gone back yet. I have had no time with college, apprenticeship, work etc. But its a lot of fun!

Here are some pics I have:
297393_2340469079640_823184_n.jpg

206271_4606109759241_1836385921_n.jpg

395593_10200525693213305_1958010485_n.jpg

547600_10200193856717600_2058038004_n.jpg

954635_10201212755949444_805402075_n.jpg
- This horse has ADD and is a barrel horse, he's kind crazy, but for some reason he was good with me XD

I also love to read! I have over 300 books in my good reads account that i have read, and about another 300 I want to read XD

Like you guys, I enjoy reading, although I don't have as much time to sit down and read as I'd like to. Same goes for drawing and writing.

I also play World of Warcraft... I have a druid (shape-shifter) named Ratpelt who runs around with a bunch of little pet rats following her. XD

Hehe, I'm a super crafty person (got it from my mom), but these days that talent is used for making rodent-sized props for my holiday photoshoots with my hamsters and rats. And while photography is a hobby, I actually don't have any real talent for it - the photos I share with you guys is just from random luck instead of skill.

And I LOVE to bake! Finally got my KitchenAid mixer (a very belated wedding gift from my folks), and I can't wait to start using it. My fave to make right now are chiffon cakes, but I can also bake tasty pound cakes and cookies.

Grr, one hobby I loved is making stained glass windows, but I haven't been able to create a safe place for a studio in an apartment setting, and am just to lazy to find a place elsewhere. When the hubby and I do settle down in our own house (maybe soon!), I can pick it up again hopefully. I also used to draw a lot, and was pretty good at it. But since it was an outlet for my "melancholia" I no longer feel the inspiration for it now that I have the hubby and the furkids in my life.

Dogs....not sure if they are a hobby or my life...LOL but they take about most of my time. I also love to read, play Sims ( a computer game) I LOVE being outside, walking, hiking, biking etc....would LOVE to get even more active but there doesn't seem to be enough time. I have a beautiful granddaughter and I LOVE spending time with her, playing.

The people on here seem to have a lot of interesting hobbies. Making stained glass sounds awesome, horseback riding, gardening....all sound very fun...I would love to do more horseback riding and gardening...

So many different neat hobbies, but I see some trends. Funny how rat lovers seem to also share a love of nature and animals and art...and, like our rats, food!

I enjoy gardening and entomology/arachnology. Recently I have taken up baking, and cooking as I learn more vegetarian/vegan recipes. I would say reading, but I can't remember the last time I had a spare moment for recreational reading.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

Not exactly a hobby ....

I spend hours and hours online sending what I hope is useful info to people rehoming animals so that hopefully their animals will be safe and only be rehomed to good caring homes.
Like everyone else, I can't rescue them all ... so I do what I can in the hope that I can help.
- a few people respond - some with insults, threats and obscenities
- some with heartfelt thanks for the info. and ideas

I try to become involved as much as possible given my situation, in trying to make a difference ...
passing on info. I think people might find helpful
signing petitions
attending rallies
listening to others
educating myself
praying .... and trying not to give up
but it probably doesn't help, I am probably just wasting my time ...

SQ said:
Not exactly a hobby ....

I spend hours and hours online sending what I hope is useful info to people rehoming animals so that hopefully their animals will be safe and only be rehomed to good caring homes.
Like everyone else, I can't rescue them all ... so I do what I can in the hope that I can help.
- a few people respond - some with insults, threats and obscenities
- some with heartfelt thanks for the info. and ideas

I try to become involved as much as possible given my situation, in trying to make a difference ...
passing on info. I think people might find helpful
signing petitions
attending rallies
listening to others
educating myself
praying .... and trying not to give up
but it probably doesn't help, I am probably just wasting my time ...

You are most certainly NOT wasting your time...I for one have learned so much because of you and because of that I have helped educate many others on rat care. Even if you don't get through to everyone you do get through to some and those people will pass that on...You have helped MANY MANY rats...so nothing you do is a waste of time....BUT you do need to think about yourself sometimes....take a break from helping others and enjoy life.

Hobbies is not really the right word. I meant other interests--
anything that people feel passionate about.

It's pretty safe to say that many Shackers are enthusiastic, passionate, committed.

Hmmm, hobbies and interests, eh?
I have to admit, glass tops the list for me right now. Stained glass, fused glass, and lampworked glass. Today I made a three dimensional star. I still have to solder a loop to it and clean and polish it. It is a Christmas gift for some friends. Here are some I made last year:

IMG_0515_zpscac06df8.jpg

Joanne said:
I have to admit, glass tops the list for me right now. Stained glass, fused glass, and lampworked glass. Today I made a three dimensional star. I still have to solder a loop to it and clean and polish it. It is a Christmas gift for some friends. Here are some I made last year:

IMG_0515_zpscac06df8.jpg

Beautiful!

Joanne said:
I have to admit, glass tops the list for me right now. Stained glass, fused glass, and lampworked glass. Today I made a three dimensional star. I still have to solder a loop to it and clean and polish it. It is a Christmas gift for some friends.]

Oh yay, another glass enthusiast! I never ventured from using the lead method, but it looks like you know how to use the copper foil?

sands said:
Beautiful!
Thanks!
rhapsody said:
Oh yay, another glass enthusiast! I never ventured from using the lead method, but it looks like you know how to use the copper foil?
Copper foil is very easy to learn, and opens up a whole world of patterns that would be quite difficult with lead came. I encourage you to try it!

Back