What Are We All Doing for Halloween?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOME people do!
but it's very rare :)
Like some of my younger neighbours arte going I saw some a few years before and all.

But i don't think that they will get much candy lol

Oooh, I found this from this site.

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.

The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

omg.. im sooooo envious you are close to salem
unfortunately i have to work.. again this year.. from 3pm to 11 pm.... then linds goes to work when i get home :(.... i love doing the scairy movies gorging on junk..... ect... halloween is sooooo freaking fun
this year we went to this thing called boo at the zoo. they have an adult night. all over the zoo they have buildings and areas designed in a very scairy mannor.. cob webs haning... ripped fabric.. people jumping out behind corners dressed up all scairy.. and of course the zombie area... eeep... every time you look at something.. (like the blood stained tents)... a zombie walks right up to you adn is like "uuuuuuuuuuuuh" all moaning... then when you are like "eeep" and back up.. another comes from the other side.. hahah it was great... linds grabbed me my my jacket and practically dragged me thru it right fast.. hahaha... was soooo fun..
we met up with a coulple friends and went thru again... this time.. there was people hiding in some other areas... they must switch it up or something..?? and there was this "clown" nursery room...(omg so creepy.. clowns creep me out).. and this guy jumped out of a closet ... he totally got me that time.. i TOTALLY jumped..haha.. the first time... he didnt jump out... hahha... this time instead of linds practically dragging me out of there by my jacket.. i was in front.. i keeped putting her behind me whenever someone jumped out..lol... hahha i dunno.. was soooooo fun to be scaired like that...
i think next year it might be fun to volunteer to be like a zombie or something. :joy:

I'll probably go trick or treating. :happydance: I'm too old, but short enough that I totally get away with it. Last year my brother in law and I went as bedsheet ghosts.... with the cutout eyeholes and everything. We put fedoras on top and told people we were dead gangsters. People ate it up and even took our pictures. Who honestly goes as a bedsheet ghost enymore?

If I don't do that, I think Mike and I might go out to dinner. We accidentally missed our anniversary on the 19th so we might make up for it then.

I am working until 8pm. Although I am not excited about tomorrow night (30th) working downtown will 'hell's night', not sure what's going to happen if anything. Other then that nothing.

Jo! Fascinating... I love watching the History channel documentaries and specials about Halloween's beginnings and history. And the Food Network specials, of course! LMAO!!!

Ohhh I just realized that I agreed to dress all nice Friday with my coworkers... Meh I can still do that and wear my little "Nudist on Strike" sign. *mwahaha*

IMG_5523.jpg

This was going to the Trunk or Treat. I changed from my work scrub top and into a sweater. It fits better. ;)

My dad's "trunk" at the Trunk or Treat
IMG_5529.jpg

I thought this one was cute
IMG_5540.jpg

Dancing!
IMG_5554.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

Little children's attempt at the Macarena... Two girls I babysit regularly too.
IMG_5559.jpg

Puppies!
IMG_5538.jpg

There were a lot of dogs there, which is why Tanner and Sharisse left like after ten minutes. :/

Me with Thing 1 and Thing 2, aka the kids I watch every day.
IMG_5557.jpg

Plus Maddi, my little chicken whisperer.
IMG_5563.jpg

My sister Alyssa... She was mad so she wouldn't look at me, and in fact she was arguing in this pic. She was a Cereal Killer... The box there is a box of Trix.
IMG_5541.jpg

The yard afterwards
IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5579.jpg

Me and Denny about to hand out candy.
IMG_5570.jpg

Me and Denny and Izzie AFTER Trick or Treating was done. I brought Iz out for the last 30 minutes of it just to see how he'd do. He did great!
IMG_5590.jpg

Rat's get Halloween, too, you know!
IMG_5571.jpg

Random dancing vids... It was funny. None of this was organized. I mean, the music was, but the people started dancing on their own. I'm glad no one had my camera when we were doing the Hokey Pokey, the Chicken Dance, and YMCA... I was out there with Maddi and having a great time and probably looking like an idiot. :p See, I know Tanner would love these kinds of things if he could get over the dog thing.

Small kids doing Soulja Boy... IDK how they knew it, but most of them did. It was awesome.

Cupid something... I'd never heard this before, but lots of people knew it.

They also did Thriller, but my camera ran out of memory space!! LAME. THAT was an amazing one to watch!

Back