What are these noises our little guy is making?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRNDPNDR

First off, the video is dark and barely visible, BUT the sound is clearly heard and that's what I'm worried about here.

He's been making this noise since about yesterday as far as I can tell, and it started when we were doing introductions on the couch to our adults.

The intros are going well, but I'm concerned about this and worried it's something respritory, but I can hear him sniffing without making this noise so it seems to be controllable??

he's been doing it even when he's back at home with his brother.

Please tell me this isn't something I need to worry about (unless it actually is serious)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_7JvVCa7ww

He needs to see a vet, its a URI, so he would need baytril & doxy. The sound you hear is his congestion.

This is what my Thumper sounds like: [BBvideo:1rzmrn2v]http://youtu.be/GsISUNOkfyA[/BBvideo:1rzmrn2v]

Is this one of the babies or adults?

Simba has started sneezing a few days ago, so i started him on meds.

He sounds like coffee percolating :( That is nasal at this point but very likely to move into his lungs and become a REAL issue. He needs a vet pretty quickly, proper antibiotics given and he should be fine.

But cost is a limiting factor right now. I want to see him better, but I'm not sure i can afford a vet visit right now unless they could work with me on payments.

What does this type of visit and medication roughly cost?

its really isnt something that will clear up on his own. Being young and sounding like that can be deadly. Not treating it promptly can also make it scar and be life long. Sadly having rats includes going to the vet it is important to always make sure you have funds available for those cost.

What causes this?

I feel so horrible, I have asthma and know what it's like to struggle for breath, I wouldn't wish that on anything, it's a terrible feeling.

I'm going to see if I can get him in to the vet on Saturday.

Yes I want to see him well. I do not like to see animals suffering.
But it was just before Christmas that my gf got a job and this would be the first week that we actually have any money at all. We have to be careful how its spent. I know this is absolutely important but we don't even have credit to fall back on.

However with some careful planning I can get him looked at.

If you go to dr yelen, the exam is $30 (like you said) And for both meds would be around $70 I believe, he usually sells the whole bottle, but if you are tight on money, he could just give you the amount you would need for 4-6 weeks. Let me know when you take him, as I would love to be there for the appointment. And like I said, one of his brothers here, Simba, is sneezing as well, and has been on meds for 2 days now.

I wonder why they've gotten sick? You got them young as possible and they were quite healthy then, are some rats just more susceptible to certain diseases? Is it something I did that caused it?

I'm going to call today and see if I can get in to dr yelen for Saturday as it would be my only time so I hope he can squeeze him in.

Some rats just have problems, and maybe because their mom and their dad is also their grandpa, they dont have such a diverse, how do I say, DNA (wrong word, but my brain is dead). Its probably just a family thing. Hopefully none of the others will get sick this early in their lives. And you did everything fine, there is no real way to prevent a URI, they will either get it or not.

He has an appointment tomorrow at 11:20 with dr yelen.
The exam fee is ok, but I'll have to work out something with the meds.

Hopefully it isn't too serious and he won't need much medication.

He isn't making the noise continuously, right now it only seems to happen when he isn't calm, but he hasn't been as active as he previously was. He isn't playing with his brother as much, or so it seems anyway.

My Thumper doesn't make the noise all the time either. But he will need meds for at least 2 weeks, better is 4 weeks. And if you ask, he can give you just the amount you need, so you wont have to pay for the whole bottle, so it would be cheaper for you. And if its fine, I will come for the appointment tomorrow :)

Back