What are rats favorite foods?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

I'm trying to tame my pet store bought rats, and i bought some honey yogurt drops but i don't think they like them that much. I want to find a favorite food that is a solid, not yogurt or baby food.

Peas Rice Oats Eggs Corn Pasta Cheese Cake Cheesecake Cheerios

Not all of these are exactly healthy for them, but they like them. :mrgreen:

Peas! The strawberry yogies, or the vanilla yogies that are actually people food! Mine don't like the other flavours either! Sunflower seeds! Bananas, banana chips. Nori strips (the seaweed on the outside of sushi), edamame, tofu....peas! Grapes! Rice crispies! Oat Bran Crunch! Pasta! Cooked or raw! Your dinner! Cheese curd! Blueberries! Melon! Watermelon!!!

(We try to use yogies and cheese sparingly due to the high fat and sugar content in them and the availability of fresh food....but sometimes you need some bribes)

mine love rice puffs :D I buy them in a huge blue bag for $1.99 at my grocery store. They don't have any sugar or salt or preservatives and my boys gobble them like no tomorrow :D
and of course peas are a favorite :thumbup:

With pet store bought rats, they may not have been exposed to any treat foods before, and with their natural caution with new things, it may take a little while for them to warm up to all the wonderful healthy foods you have to offer.

That said, mine (including the pet store babies) warmed up to bananas and cooked brussels sprouts and peas *really* fast. Peas or cereal would probably be the best size for trust training, and a bag of frozen peas or puffed rice/cheerios style cereal would be super cheap. Good luck!

I buy frozen peas, then I let some sit in hot water to thaw and give it to them raw. If you put some in cold water, in the summer, they love to go pea fishing. It's so funny to watch them!

I thought of another one...besides peas, frozen peas, and dried peas....there is Calbee Snack Pea Crisps. They are baked and they love them. You should be able to find them in the grocery store aisle with the salad dressings and croutons.

Here is a pic of Julian with one....
l_5cb68b97787490bf4c4c2c040c100776.jpg

I don't really feed them cake or cheesecake, but I would bet they would like it.

Oh! also. the occasional chicken bone to grind down their teeth. I don't know if they actually eat it or not, but the pile of dust they leave is about the same mass as the bone was.

My guys get a kick out of anything banana... And coconut, apparently, although we've only done that once and it will be awhile before we get another. I think they are high in fat, but I'm not sure. Anyway... They also love bamboo shoots and... spaghetti. I will admit the boys will get bits of whatever I am eating, which is probably why the little boys are so pudgy. (I can't believe I ever complained that they were skinny, HA!) We eat relatively healthy, so it's usually not an issue. But spaghetti is the favorite around here. And pork. :p

Hey Pauley, I give my guys chicken bones too. They have a blast gnawing it down and it keeps them entertained for quite a while.

anyone know if rats can have cooked turnup?

As for my rats they love vegetables and chicken bones, hard boiled eggs. Fruit they will stick their nose up at it or play with it but never really eat it.

I've never tried mine with turnip, but they LOVE cooked sweet potato and carrots in addition to all the fruit & veg mentioned above. SQ recommends watermelon for good hydration on hot days (or with rats who are dehydrated)

Back